ID: 147340
grundig: 2100; Satellit 
17.Aug.07 06:32

Ross Hochstrasser (USA)
Articles: 24
Count of Thanks: 11
Ross Hochstrasser

Hello,

I would like to share an experience with all of you regarding repairs on a Satellit 2100, although this problem/solution will apply to all  old radios. I was recently reassembling my Satellit 2100 after doing some recapping and a transistor replacment (L.O. transistor on SW 3-10) when I noticed that LW,MW,SW1 andSW2 were completely silent. I  shotgun replaced the L.O. transistor here as well (being to lazy to troubleshoot the circuit!)  and the problem persisted. I was very  dissapointed as the radio played so well just minutes before. FM,SW3-10 still worked properly. For the next few hours I studied the schematic, tested components looked at waveforms on the scope,(there was clearly no local oscillator) even compared voltage readings with a working set to no avail. In utter desparation,  I decided that the only component I hadn't tested was the tuning condenser.I connected my digital ohmmeter to the leads which I disconnected from the switch assembly, and I measured 180 ohms. Rotating the shaft made no changes in the reading. I looked carefully at the stator  and rotor and could not understand the 180 ohms. Getting out the most powerful eye loupe I could find, I noticed a few strands of Dendrite (check Google for a definition if you don't know about dendrite) between the stator and frame. compressed air was then liberally applied and the 180 ohms dissapeared... Moral of the story: always clean your tuning condensers before wasting a day troubleshooting!! Good Luck, I hope this helps someone someday! Ross

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

17.Aug.07 07:26

Omer Suleimanagich (USA)
Articles: 429
Count of Thanks: 6
Omer Suleimanagich

Ross, I thought you were out of the Satellit repair business!

Another trick with getting these beauties back to life, is using an eraser (for pencils) on the gold contacts  and then treating the gold contacts with Deoxit Gold.

Oh yes, and if the dial string is acting weird and slipping a little, using a little talcum powder on the string.

Omer

BTW What is your opinion on the Eton E1?

17.Aug.07 17:37

Ross Hochstrasser (USA)
Count of Thanks: 8
Ross Hochstrasser

Hi Omer,

I am out of it as a business, this is my Satellit 2100, I am still a collector although I have  at least a year backlog of radios sitting here to get out! Thanks for the tip on the eraser, I have used video head chamois sticks as well, though more expensive and probably extinct at this point.  I hope to connect my scanner to this computer soon and download some pictures and schematics for RM. It only takes time!!  Ross

17.Aug.07 17:42

Ross Hochstrasser (USA)
Count of Thanks: 9
Ross Hochstrasser

Hi Omer, I forgot to answer your question about the E1. I have never seen one so I don't have an opinion yet. I'm sure it's OK, but I don't expect to acquire one any time soon. I've been using my R-392 for SW listening and I highly recommend it, but it's not very portable!! Thanks, Ross