ID: 378287
? grundig: 4040W/3D; Majestic - Frozen Drehkondensator  
02.May.15 16:31

Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22 (USA)
Articles: 363
Count of Thanks: 3
Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22

Dear members,

I am hesitant to admit that I am very puzzled by a very stiff tuning condenser on a lovely model recently purchased. The short steel wire was found to be in 3 pieces and appeared to have been "shorted" through. The zeiger is in a fixed position at the extreme left side of the dial - near 100.5 on the UKW band.

The wanderscheiben is totally free and exceptionally smooth; The perlonseil is in good condition and is extended to its full "out"' position. I have attempted to move the Dreko-Antriebsrad with my finger, but it is without movement. And I have very carefully applied different lubricants to no avail.

All other parts appear to be in place. The tuning eye is fine, and tone controls have been made operational; and the radio played beautifully on UKW2 at 100.9 FM on strong local station - BUT NO other tuning is possible!!

I am aware of the small adjusting shaft on the very aft end of the T/C shaft (fromits factory sealed position); I feel hesitant to manipulate that screw.

Herr Knoll and many other members have been instrumental in my earliest restoration of a lovely 5040W3D which still enjoys a place of honor in my home. As soon as this problem is resolved, I will begin another complete perlonseil and stahlseil "re-wind" of the system.

I would be most appreciative for any hints to help in this matter.

Respectfully,

Robert Sarbell 

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Answer via Mailbox  
03.May.15 09:36
80 from 2247

Hans M. Knoll (D)
Editor
Articles: 2163
Count of Thanks: 4
Hans M. Knoll

Greetings, Hans 
03.May.15 17:21
133 from 2247

Count of Thanks: 3
Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22

Guten tag Hans,

Thank you so very much for your reply.

I must admit that late yesterday evening the Drehkondsensator became free after a few sprays from a commercial parts cleaner and patiently working the wheel back and forth. Now. I must begin the process to re-string the pulleys.

I have MANY photos and notes from your assistance during my restoration of the "big brother 5040W3D" radio from years ago. And the efforts from Herr Michael John and the other RMO members who sent me the ruckwand and other items to help me.

I expect this model will become equally nice. 

I must admit that the most difficult item which I now face is trying to find the very thin steel wire which can wrap around the aggregate antriebs rad and drehko pulleys like the perlonseil.

Mit freundliche Grussen,

Robert

Steel wire 
03.May.15 18:23
148 from 2247

Dietmar Rudolph † 6.1.22 (D)
Articles: 2492
Dietmar Rudolph † 6.1.22

Dear Robert,

I will send you the steel wire you need in a letter - if that will be possible.

Best regards,

Dietmar

Greatest Appreciation for your assistance  
03.May.15 23:18
176 from 2247

Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22

Dear Dietmar,

and also to Hans M Knoll - thank you both so very much. I have just now sent a reply email to both of you; the fine steel wire would be greatly appreciated - I can NOT locate the identical type after much searching; and I am sure you know it is critical to the proper operation of these radios.

Especially, since the MDAAR assembly "left and right motor" contacts  are "electrified" in the ON mode, and could become hazardous to operation if the either of the 2 stahlseils come loose; and they may act like a glowing wire!

Respectfully,

Robert

Stahlseil arrives - Thank you so much 
10.May.15 17:19
354 from 2247

Count of Thanks: 2
Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22

Dear Dietmar,

Thank you so very much for the steel wire - it arrived yesterday afternoon. It will be most appreciated, and it is even thinner than I expected. I expect the motorized model 4040W3D will be restored much quicker than my 5040W3D - years ago when Herr Knoll and several other RMO members provided vital parts - like a dial glass and knobs, and even the ruckwand!

Respectfully,

Robert