Grundig Majestic 7000 repair observations

ID: 152532
Grundig Majestic 7000 repair observations 
09.Nov.07 00:52

Jeffrey Angus (USA)
Articles: 37
Count of Thanks: 10

I am working on a Grundig Majestic 7000 console. Phono, AM. SW1, SW2 and FM.

I am a little puzzled by a few things on the schematic. For example, the de-emphasis network would appear to be R21 and C32. However, with values of 33K and 47 pF, it would appear to be set at 1.5 us rather than either 50 or 75 us per broadcast standards. Is the de-emphasis handled elsewhere in the radio, such as incorporated in the negative feedback portion of the audio pre-amp and amplifier?

As to be expected, the tone quality of the radio is very bass heavy. I did modify the values of C44 and R28 on the loudness tap on the volume control which helped considerably with excessive bass as lower volume levels. C44 was 15 nf, I changed that to 1.5 nF (0.0015 uf) and R28 from 22K to 220 K. This makes the amount of bass boost at lower volume levels less pronounced.

A Russian 6E5C substituted for the nearly unobtainable EM34 eye tube easily enough. Note: These tubes are NOT pip for pin compatible. If you plug a 6E5C into the socket wired for an EM34, you will connect B+ to the grid of the 6E5C. The 6E5C data sheet says -8.25V for deflection while the EM34 needs - 16 V so there is a bit less sensitivity.

Jeff

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Majestic 7000 - new model please 
18.Nov.07 20:44

Georg Richter (D)
Articles: 916
Count of Thanks: 9
Georg Richter

Dear Jeff,

because your model in question has SW2 instead of LW please upload a new model. Click on "New entries", then "Upload new models" (direct link)

Manufacturer: Grundig             (the german one)
Model name: Majestic
Model type: 7000

You can look at the Grundig 7000 (variant "dunkel") or variant "hell" to see which data are highly appreciated.

"dunkel" means "dark veneer color"
"hell" means "light veneer color" (not devils home ;-)

Without uploading the new model your question has less chance to be answered accordingly.

If the equipment is officially registered we will move your article to the model, and we would be glad to see photos of it.

Kind Regards
Georg

Domestic and Export 
25.Nov.07 11:50

Ernst Erb (CH)
Officer
Articles: 5742
Ernst Erb

Dear Omer
If there is a domestic version and an export version then we would have to bring in a new model. I would very much like that Mr. Knoll can give us an answer to this question. I have also to confess that I did not dig into this and therefore can not judge.

I would find it necessary that someone puts some photos to the model. One should be a close picture of the scale and one of the name plate etc.

Grundig Majestic 'Model 7000/7015 USA'  
26.Nov.07 03:36

Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22 (USA)
Articles: 363
Count of Thanks: 13
Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22

Gentlemen,

This topic was discussed briefly but succinctly in Aug 2004 by Herr Knoll after he had conducted a thorough review of his files which related to the GRUNDIG-LOGO in USA from 1957 to 1961 - specifically as they related to the Majestic models which were made for export. See the forum item Nicht eindutige von Grundig Export - Geraten and the following added post which discusses the Grundig - Logo in USA 1957 bis 1960 posted by Herr Knoll on 26 Aug 2004

I wish to respectfully advise each of you that on Jun 2, 2004 I downloaded from the RMorg database files the schematic for the following model:  (ID=21266) Grundig "Model 7000/7015 USA" . . . . which was prepared by Herr Arpad Roth and his forum entry on 08 Dec 2003

The model schematic identifies the following 4 bands. . . .BC, SWI, SWII, and FM (88-108MHZ).

Tube configuration is as follows: ECC85 ECH81 EF89 EABC80 EL84 AND EM34/35

My notes reflect that the 7000 and 7015 models are both consoles.

The Grundig schematic number in the lower right hand corner is 12457; and the notation states "Printed in West Germany"

Respectfully,
Robert P. Sarbell
NOTE: The SAMS Photofact technical publishing house, in their index for August 1961, lists the technical data for the GRUNDIG MAJESTIC models 7000, 7005 and 7015 in their radio folders as Set #409 - item 9

Here Mr. Knoll Statement in german 
26.Nov.07 05:32

Hans M. Knoll (D)
Editor
Articles: 2163
Hans M. Knoll

Hallo Freunde.

Leider kann ich dieses Problem nur in deutsch erlaeutern. Siehe die Anlage.

Ich werde das heute noch nachholen. Der RM Server hat mich gestern  Abend ca.   2 1/2  Std. ausgesperrt.

Hans M.Knoll

EDIT: die Typen "S" und "I"  deutlicher bezeichnet, war nur ein Hinweis von mir. Es ging ja um die USA Modelle,    GRUNDIG-Majestic

Attachments:

Grundig 7000 and 7015 
26.Nov.07 10:05

Ernst Erb (CH)
Officer
Count of Thanks: 11
Ernst Erb

Dear Robert
Thank you for indicating this early post which has been on "Talk" and therefore went "under". I have moved it now to the company Grundig.

As I guessed: We have not yet made our housework for Grundig export models. Thanks to Mr. Knoll we now know the situation about Grundig 7000 and 7015.

I suggest that we gibe up the variation "hell" and "dunkel" and keep one for the domestic model (with the plan for domestic) and change the other for 7000 USA. Then we should copy SEMKO, 7000 Ital. and 7000 WE. We then can perhaps later upload the Z.# 2042-100 etc.

Similar we should proceed with 7015.

What I don't know: the SEMKO (7000) can/should we call it 7000 SEMKO like 7015 SEMKO or is it on purpose to only name it SEMKO?

We then have those two model groups listed correct and hopefully we also will get some pictures to the models one day.

Thank you for the efforts. Well done.

SEMKO or S  
26.Nov.07 10:43

Hans M. Knoll (D)
Editor
Articles: 2163
Count of Thanks: 8
Hans M. Knoll

Grundig use many Words for Models.

The "S" can mean "super"  or "Special" etc.

STENORETTE "S" means "Spule" (reel) and STENORETTE "C" means "Casette"

"J" for Italy not "I"    "I" means some Times : Version 1 (one)

I Think, 7000 S (SEMKO) is clear  in this case  for anywhere, also mee.

In 1957 "S" for sweden. see here.

Export models are now in the database 
04.Dec.07 09:49

Ernst Erb (CH)
Officer
Count of Thanks: 10
Ernst Erb

Dear friends
Since nobody dares to enter the data for the export models I did this task now.
It can be very well that I did some errors. Since the 7000WE seems to be without FM I entered only 3 AM bands and that could be wrong. Hopefully Mr. Knoll knows ;-)
The same thing I did with 7015WE ... (well without really knowing).

We all still hope that Jeffrey Angus will be posting some pictures to the model 7000USA - the scale (only) in big size would be of great interest, but also outside in general, chassis etc.

I cleard some postings here which are now not anymore necessary.
Then I wrote to Arpad Roth, the administrator for schematics to care for the right places since one of the domestic models has "fallen out" (only color version).

To end the clearing up I move now this thread to the model.

I know that some guests and members do not read the blue info buttons to know how to use the different search engines we have - therefore: To get all the Grundig 7000 you only enter 7000 to the "Simple search for Antique Radios etc.". At the moment you will get 37 results on one page where you select your model - can get back and select an other one etc.

If you use the SEARCH then you get 103 hits on models because this SEARCH is for text. It looks up the following different sections: "Forum" and "Papers", then the Attachments in those two forums and then the field "notes" only on models where seldom also the model number is repeated. At last it even looks up the personal text in collections (besides the photo - often missing ...).

04.Dec.07 19:23

Jeffrey Angus (USA)
Articles: 37
Count of Thanks: 13

The radio is currently at the customer's house. I am rebuilding the turntable for them. When I return that, I will take pictures of everything for you.

Jeff