ID: 380308
? grundig: WR 5408 PLL; Yacht Boy 80 
17.Jun.15 20:23

Damian Roter (PL)
Articles: 2
Count of Thanks: 5
Damian Roter

Hello,

I found interesting problem in this radio.

On page 13 service manual (processor board) on the left upper corner is note1 about optional diode D201 (RLS4148) for ITALIAN option this board.

My question is: What is difference between Italian and CE versions this radios ?

Regards

Damian

Attachments:

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Wave Ranges different 
18.Jun.15 10:05
57 from 2866

Hans M. Knoll (D)
Editor
Articles: 2163
Count of Thanks: 5
Hans M. Knoll

grundig: WR 5408 PLL; Yacht Boy 80 
20.May.21 11:50
1864 from 2866

Jose Mesquita (P)
Articles: 110
Count of Thanks: 1
Jose Mesquita

Hi, Damian and Hans,

I looked everywhere I could and couldn't find any details on an Italian version of this model, be it Grundig YB 80, or Roberts, or the original Sangean models.

Sangean could explain this if they did care to share the full service manual with all the specifications for each market and variant, like Sony did in the good old days.

Or for that matter, if Grundig did ever marketed this radio in Italy (as it seems they did), then it should be clearly explained at least in the Italian Operating Instructions in the speficications section.

I downloaded the Italian section of the Operating Guide and that is just the same text content as it is on the English ot French or Spannish sections. 

That said, we know that Italia market used to enforce different RF Band limits, like the MW band, and probably the SW band as well.

This radio was advertized as having 14 SW bands in the Operating Instructions and on the cabinet back labels  (and that is correct to a point), but the CE model that I own also is able to jump out of those 14 SW band limits, scanning the entire RF spectrum from 1.7MHz to 29.9MHz.

So, we can only guess at this point that the Italian version is probably enforcing the RF spectrum to just the 14 band limits.

To know for sure, someone would need to have an Italian version and share the band limits with us, or else a delicate cirurgy on the MCU PCB would be required to add the "missing" diode and test the result.

Cheers,

Jose

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.