Help for identification of Radio French (~1940)

ID: 244954
? Help for identification of Radio French (~1940) 
03.Feb.11 13:00

Bekir Yurdakul (F)
Articles: 47
Count of Thanks: 13
Bekir Yurdakul

Hello fiends,

I restore one French radio/phono  ( Phono is Paillard)

The radio has no identification except on cadre it’s writing “SAFG”  

The vacuum lams are 6E8MG, 6K7MG, 6Q7G 6F6G and 5Y3GB with 6AF7

The constructor “SAFG” has been already declared in France in “DocTSF” but for now there is no address and no real confirmation, and also SAFG …. GILSON as we know that Mr Gilson was one creator of the screen of radios in that time, it is no real element for the constructer.

It’s my opinion

Here some photos.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards

Bekir

Attachments:

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

? S.A.F.G 
03.Feb.11 16:50
41 from 6055

Wolfgang Bauer (A)
Articles: 2479
Count of Thanks: 8
Wolfgang Bauer

In this ==> article we find this model with the same scale again as a normal radio. (Post 23).

Regards WB.

? Scale S.A.F.G. but constructor ? 
03.Feb.11 17:28
55 from 6055

Bekir Yurdakul (F)
Count of Thanks: 8
Bekir Yurdakul

Thank you,

I do not speak German so I tried to understand from Google.

Sure it’s exactly same scale, but in this article I do not think that they are speaking for constructor.

I would like to find the best way for declaration of this radio in radio Museum.

Because SAFG is not the constructor, so is it “unknown home made (France) ?

Thanks

Bekir

fabrication artisanale 
03.Feb.11 19:04
75 from 6055

Jacob Roschy (D)
Editor
Articles: 1766
Count of Thanks: 7
Jacob Roschy

Hello Bekir,

I take it as quite certain, the constructor “SAFG” did only make the dial unit (cadre), probably the CV too, but never the entire radio set. As you already mentioned, Mr. Gilson was only the designer of that dial.

This radiophono is a typical French “fabrication artisanale”, made in a backyard workshop somewhere in a French small town. I expect the chances are very small, to find out who and where this radio was made.

Incidentally at the time of my childhood my parents owned a radio, which was equipped with just the same dial. However, it was a normal table radio of the 1940s in horizontal aspect. Certainly it was a fully anonymous “fabrication artisanale” too, without any maker name or serial n°. Later this radio became my “first” radio.

As that part of Germany where I live, the Saarland – la Sarre, was under French government after WW2, it was normal here to have French radios, as we were within the French economy as well.

Unfortunately in my youth, as I did with many radios, I tinkered with that radio until it vanished completely, which I regret very much today. Later I never found exactly the same type again, its production number must have been very low.

But later I was lucky to find a bare chassis that uses the same dial, but without cabinet, and that chassis is not the same as my first radio was.

Again some years later I found a complete radio with that dial on a Belgium flea market, however its cabinet is considerably smaller and of different shape as the radio of my youth was. At least, I'm lucky to have that (after restoration) good working radio, which is still in daily use.

Best Regards, Jacob

? suite fab artisanale 
03.Feb.11 19:30
84 from 6055

Bekir Yurdakul (F)
Count of Thanks: 6
Bekir Yurdakul

Hi, Jacob,

Thank you for your friendly explications.

It’s very nice good chance that we have this lovely “souvenir”.

So in this case I’ll propose it as “unknow /homes make French radio”

After revision, I saw that it was really working well;

I think it' ~1940/42 no ?

The phono is doing the noise, but no communication with radio. I’ll look it... (P.U. is OK)

Best regards

Bekir

1939 - 1940  
05.Feb.11 18:34
168 from 6055

Jacob Roschy (D)
Editor
Articles: 1766
Count of Thanks: 10
Jacob Roschy

Hi Bekir,

yes, I agree, this radiophono is a really nice piece, well worth to be collected. I also love that dial much, not only as it was on the radio of my childhood, as it is a beautiful design anyway. Due to its resemblance, I call it the “face-dial”. Unfortunately the mirror silver and the colours are deteriorating by the years. I'll try to preserve it by over-spraying with transparent spray paint.

Since the Magic Eye tube 6AF7 was released in 1939, this must be the earliest year this set may have been produced. From 1940 onwards the output tube 6F6 was gradually replaced by the 6V6, so 1940 may be assumed as the latest year of production.

Would be nice, to get the receiving part of this set also running, to listen the AM stations as long they transmit.

“Home make French radio” may not be fully correct, since “home make” only mean the owner or user has made this set for himself, which is not the case here, as the set was most likely made by a local radio shop to be sold to its customers.

Best Regards, Jacob

unknow radio with SAFG dial 
06.Feb.11 10:35
225 from 6055

Bekir Yurdakul (F)
Count of Thanks: 10
Bekir Yurdakul

Hello Jacob,
Yes, also when I found some damage on the dials of this type, when the paint starts to be degraded, usually I sprayed the protective varnish for electricity, and what I have done with this dial. 
  "Attention"  must be a certain distance, avoid spraying heterogeneous, if not we can create bottlenecks.
If not this is a good way to fix it.
With those information so this radio can be from the year ~ 1939 /1940 ?
For the declaration, so I'll just say unknown.
Cordially
Bekir

referencement of this radio 
07.Feb.11 23:24
326 from 6055

Bekir Yurdakul (F)
Count of Thanks: 11
Bekir Yurdakul

Hi, Jacob,

Here, I send you the referencement in RMorg of the radio of we spooked.

>>unknown_eu_radiophono<<<

Best regards

Bekir

Link 
11.Apr.16 13:18
2390 from 6055

Mark Hippenstiel (D)
Articles: 1251
Count of Thanks: 7
Mark Hippenstiel

Unknown radio 
11.Apr.16 15:00
2407 from 6055

Bekir Yurdakul (F)