ID: 41341
nordmende: 2/633; Tannhäuser-Stereo - info needed 
23.Jan.05 15:50

Mike Phelan (GB)
Articles: 21
Count of Thanks: 6
Mike Phelan

Hello all
I am new here, so please forgive me if this the wrong place to post such a request.
I have just acquired one of these beauties - even though there is no model number on it, it seems to agree with the pictures and valve line-up.
The ferite rod and its coil had become detached from the bracket, and the coil only seems to have about twenty turns of wire on it - is this correct?  Doesn't seem like a long or medium wave coil!
The radio only picks up strong stations on M & L, and nothing on short, even with a few feet of wire for an aerial.  VHF (UKW) just gives noise.   I haven't really delved into it apart from trying a known good ECH81 and ECC85 - the screen voltage on the ECH81 seems a bit low at 75v, so I will try a new 47k.
In your opinions, do these sets suffer from capacitor failure yet?
I also need a couple of translations that have baffled me and babelfish :)
What is 'Drucker automat' - AFC?  I assume that TA is 'gram' and TB 'tape'?
Also, what are the little switches near the stereo sockets for?

Thanks
Mike

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

23.Jan.05 16:17

Konrad Birkner † 12.08.2014 (D)
Articles: 2333
Konrad Birkner † 12.08.2014

Hi,
the screen voltage at the ECH81 should be 50/60V.  75 is too high!. If there is a component problem, it might be C117 (4700pF), but not the 47k resistor. Or weak emission.

The little switches belong to the piano keys TB and TA.

All sets of that period are suffering from capacitor problems. Sometimes the best way to start is to recap the radio completely. But that is a matter of taste. Should You find a series of say three caps having failed, You better start above mentioned action!

Where did You read "Drucker Automat"?

TA = Pickup
TB = Tape
PA = ferrite rod antenna (Peil-Antenne = directional antenna)

Good luck, Konrad

Drucker Automat 
23.Jan.05 18:29

Dirk Becker (D)
Articles: 289
Count of Thanks: 7
Dirk Becker

Hi together,

I guess "Drucker Automat" should be "Drucktastenautomat". It's the complete set of switches to change the operation mode (ON/OFF/AM/FM/PU, ...).

Dirk

A little bit further 
24.Jan.05 08:39

Mike Phelan (GB)
Articles: 21
Count of Thanks: 8
Mike Phelan

Dirk
I got that slightly wrong - it actually says 'UKW automat -drucken-' and below this 'Trennscharfe -ziehen-'  I guessed that this refers to the switch operated by pulling and pushing the volume control, which on looking at the circuit may change selectivity?  Is 'drucken' 'push' ?
Is it AFC, as I notice a connection from the discriminator back to the osc section of the ECC85?

Konrad
I will check C117 - I swapped the ECH81 with one from a workig set, as this was first suspect.  I wasn't sure whether the good quality capacitors in a set such as this would suffer as much as the cheaper ones in lesser sets - my previous experience of them was when they were nearly new!
I will check all the AF coupling caps for leakage, though - do not fancy buying ELL80s.

Thank you both - any ideas on the aerial coil?  Should it be like this?

Tannhäuser - UKW automatik (AFC) 
10.Jan.09 18:17

Jos Van Dyck (B)
Articles: 3
Count of Thanks: 5
Jos Van Dyck

Mike,

The "UKW Automatik" is indeed AFC. While tuning an FM station, you should pull the volume knob (AFC off) and tune watching the EM84 "magic band". When the station is tuned, push the volume knob (AFC on).

When tuning to a weak station, leave the AFC off, otherwise it may tune to a nearby stronger station instead.

The ferrite antenna ("Peil-Antenne") in my Tannhäuser Stereo has coils on both sides of the ferrite rod, but there may exist several versions.

The PA push button is used to activate the ferrite antenna, otherwise you use an external AM antenna.

The biggest problem with these radios are bad contacts in the complex push-button switches.

? Tannhauser E330 Stereo Boating Noise 
13.Jan.10 12:30
1472 from 4683

Riccardo Coradazzi (I)
Articles: 27
Riccardo Coradazzi

Buongiorno a tutti,

su un Tannhauser E330 sento in FM UKW un rumore di fondo simile a quello di un  motore a scoppio od elettrico che varia continuamente i suoi giri.

Il rumore, che ho notato viene chiamato da alcuni MOTOR BOATING, forse perchè simile a quello di una barca, è presente solo in FM.

Ho cambiato tutti i condensatori di accoppiamento delle valvole con pezzi allo "stato dell'arte"

Cambiato tutti gli elettrolitici e due valvole (ECC83 e ECH81)

Rimane questo fastidiosissimo rumore , SOLO in FM.

Qualcuno può aiutarmi a capire come fare?

Grazie

Riccardo

? AFC 
13.Jan.10 12:44
1473 from 4683

Riccardo Coradazzi (I)
Count of Thanks: 5
Riccardo Coradazzi

Dear Jos,

I read about the AFC of the Tannhauser.

I can't understand if my volume control activates the AFC, because I can't pull of the control from its original position, but 2 or 3 mm out?

I'm hearing a boating noise, like an engine, every time I rotate the tuning control.

Do you think that could be the AFC the problem?

Thank you

A kind regard

riccardo

? Tannahauser E330 
13.Jan.10 14:15
1485 from 4683

Riccardo Coradazzi (I)
Count of Thanks: 11
Riccardo Coradazzi

Dear Jos,

My Tannhauser E330 suffers of FM UKW noise, similar to an engine, who continuously varies its rpm.

I see that this kind of noise is also known as MOTOR BOATING, maybe because similar to a outboard boat engine, only in FM.

I've substituted all the anodic capacitor with "state of art" components

Substituted all electrolythic and 2 valves (ECC83 e ECH81)

May you help me to remove this noise?

Grazie

Riccardo

AFC knob 
14.Jan.10 07:48
1528 from 4683

Ottmar Lauth (D)
Articles: 222
Count of Thanks: 8
Ottmar Lauth

Dear Ricardo,

sometimes the problem is not so much to pull that knob  o u t   but to push it back into the direction of the glass dial. The reason for this can be that someone has fixed the knob too close to the glass.

Best wishes .

Ottmar.