saba: 8.5 volt lamp replaced with CM342 from Mouser.

ID: 242970
This article refers to the model: Freiburg Vollautomatic 14 Stereo (SABA; Villingen)

saba: 8.5 volt lamp replaced with CM342 from Mouser. 
20.Jan.11 06:20

Paul E. Pinyot † 2013 (USA)
Articles: 187
Count of Thanks: 5
Paul E. Pinyot  † 2013

Here is a close replacement for the 8.5 volt 0.15a globular lamp

for the Saba Freiburg

I had no success locating the 8.5 volt push button lamps for a Saba Vollautomatic Freiburg 14 radio.  I read all the translated comments about the lamps. There was a source 8.5v lamp mentioned. However they did not carry the lamp anymore (unless I did not translate properly). I tried several Midget based lamps and found one acceptable lamp still in production and carried by a vendor for reasonable cost.

The Lamp I used is a Chicago Miniature Co., number 342, 6 volt 0.04 amp 10,000 hour long life T-1 ¾. Mouser Part Number 606-CM34, $1.20 ea.,  10 for $10.80.  I purchased ten.

The low current rating yields the low lumens output simlar to the 8.5 volt globe lamp. It is a close match. And much better than a dark push button.  

I have some pictures to show you:

New 342 6v 0.04a lamp

Origonal 8.5 volt 

Button Lamps compaired to dial scale lamps
Button lamp compared to dial scale lamps (Stereo and Music)

An alternative it to use a 6 volt midget base lamp and a current limiting device (resistor, diode, etc) to adjust the intensity. I found using 342 lamps to be much simpler, did not modify the circuit architecture or add additional points of failure.

I changed all the button lamps so the intensities match. It looks good. But I do not have a completed radio picture. The owner shipped only the chassis. And it does have an undamaged dial glass.  And you can bet I shipped the glass back in a separate wood box and not on the chassis.

If you find viable lamp alternatives, some lamps and current limiting solutions to be considered and tested please mention them.

Thank you,
Paul

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.