americanra: Test Set TS-159/TPX: who is the manufacturer?

ID: 205468
? americanra: Test Set TS-159/TPX: who is the manufacturer? 
18.Nov.09 18:59

Georg Richter (D)
Articles: 916
Count of Thanks: 2
Georg Richter

Dear all,

does anybody know which "American Radio Corp." is the manufacturer of the Test Set TS-1959/TPX of year ~ 1944?

It is not the "American Radio Corp." in Cleveland (OH) which went out of business in 1926.

There is another "American Radio Corp." already existing in Knoxville (TS), but their history is only 30 years, not yet registred in RMorg.

( http://www.americanradioonline.com )

This Test Set is covered by the  Signal Corps Technical Manuals TM11-1243 and TM11-1244, so if you have them available please look for manufacturer details, please.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best Regards,

GR

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Do you have a city? 
18.Nov.09 22:06
18 von 1760

Emilio Ciardiello (I)
Editor
Articles: 533
Count of Thanks: 4
Emilio Ciardiello

Dear Georg,

I looked in some Electronics from 1938 and from 1942 and found among the others three possible sources.

- 1. American Radio Hardware - Broadway, New York, N.Y. They advertised mechanic parts, knobs, shafts and similar (1938).

- 2. American Automatic Electric - 1033 Van Buren St., Chicago, Ill. They advertised relays and signaling equipment (1938).

-3. American Television & Radio Co. - St. Paul, Minnesota, advertising a line of vibrators 'for DEFENSE' (1942).

No wonder if the third one was involved in other military productions during the war! Is there some city indication on the identification plate(s)?

Regards, Emilio

? Not yet an idea ... 
19.Nov.09 21:13
49 von 1760

Georg Richter (D)
Count of Thanks: 5
Georg Richter

Dear Emilio,

thank you very much for your effort!

I am just waiting for a reply by the owner whether the unit has a plate with details regarding the real company name and location.

Anyway, the question keeps open - and I hope that we will not only get the "new" company name, but also the history.

Best Regards

Georg

? The manufacturer remains unknown 
24.Nov.09 03:51
93 von 1760

Georg Richter (D)
Count of Thanks: 2
Georg Richter

Dear all,

Today I got the information that the unit in question has no model plate at all.

The only significant part is a transformer labeled AMERTRAN, made obviously by American Transformer Co. in Newark (NJ).

It would be highly appreciated to get any additional information to clear this mysterious manufacturer question.

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards

GR

? Amertran 
29.Nov.09 16:41
141 von 1760

Emilio Ciardiello (I)
Editor
Articles: 533
Count of Thanks: 3
Emilio Ciardiello

Dear Georg,

I found several ads by AmerTran (American Transformer Company) on Electronics. If you want, I can scan some of them and mail directly to you.

Address was: 178 Emmet St, Newark, N.J.

They made custom transformers for industrial and for radio applications up to 10000KVA since 1901. Other products included voltage regulators, test sets and rectifiers.

Regards, Emilio

This thread was moved automatically. 

This question was moved automatically to the board "Talk" to get more possibilities for answers.

Moved from board »RADIO MODELS DISPLAYED« on 05.Dec.09 16:41 from automatically 

Question is solved 
06.Dec.09 16:03
188 von 1760

Georg Richter (D)
Count of Thanks: 3
Georg Richter

Dear Emilio,

thank you very much again for your kind research and offer.

The question is now solved this way:

The model was moved to MILITARY U.S. (different makers for same model) because the initially selected American Radio Corp. in Cleveland (OH) was definitively wrong, and only one single part is referenced to AmerTran.

Maybe you can add some facts or ads to AmerTran - their history section is actually quite empty.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Georg

This thread was moved back manually because it received a valid answer. 

Moved from board »* TALK - visible for members only« on 06.Dec.09 16:05 from Georg Richter