gemeinsch: VE301W (VE 301 W); Volksempfänger: Tube Question

ID: 188858
? gemeinsch: VE301W (VE 301 W); Volksempfänger: Tube Question 
29.Apr.09 23:26

Michele Denber (USA)
Articles: 129
Count of Thanks: 2
Michele Denber

Hello, dear Radio Collectors.  I am starting to work on a VE-301W.  My first problem is with the RGN-354 rectifier.  Unfortunately, the radio was damaged in transit to me.  The speaker came off its mounting and smacked into this tube.  Here you see the very sad results (das ist aber schade):

The base is actually still connected to the bulb by a thread.  I think two of the three wires are broken, but there isn't enough clearance for me to see.  However, the glass is intact.  How should I proceed with this?  Is it possible to save this tube?  Is it worth saving?  Can I still find an RGN354?  On a related note - is it possible to test this tube (or the other tubes in this radio) on my EICO 625 tube tester?  In any case, this particular tube is not original - it is actually an EG-2403.  All help/thoughts/comments would be appreciated.  Danke sehr!

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Repair thes broken tube and new tubes 
30.Apr.09 09:46

Detlef Boeder (D)
Articles: 375
Count of Thanks: 5
Detlef Boeder

Hi Michele,

yes you can  - repair these broken tube -sure. But ebay germany is full with offers for brandnew tubes in NOS versions from private & professional sellers. Spend your "Volksempfaenger " a right new tube from the famous brands Telefunken(RGN354) or Valvo(G354).

Rgds,

DeBo

Replacement 
30.Apr.09 17:45

Wolfram Zylka (D)
Editor
Articles: 605
Count of Thanks: 4
Wolfram Zylka

Hello Michele,

I have some RGN 354 Telefunken. I guess the only problem will be the shipment cost.
In case you are interested, be so kind and sent me a mail
Best regards
Wolfram

? Repair 
30.Apr.09 18:51

Michele Denber (USA)
Count of Thanks: 3
Michele Denber

Thanks very much to Detlef and Wolfram for the speedy replies.  Based on their advice, I think what I will do is buy a new tube and try repairing the old one.  That way, if the repair is successful, I'll have a spare.  If not, I'll still have the tube I need.

So how exactly should I go about this?  I've never tried this before.  My guess would be to unsolder the wires from the three pins so I can free the base from the bulb.  Then I can repair the wires and resolder them to the pins.  Should I use some sort of glue to secure the bulb to the base?  Hopefully the wires have not snapped off right where they exit the glass.

How to fix the "broken Valve" 
01.May.09 12:59

Wolfram Zylka (D)
Editor
Articles: 605
Wolfram Zylka

Thanks 
01.May.09 18:08

Michele Denber (USA)
Michele Denber

Thanks for the pointer to that thread, Wolfram.  That pretty much answers the question on how to secure the bulb to the base.