grundig: 1088-USA; Majestic

ID: 48514
grundig: 1088-USA; Majestic 
13.Apr.05 03:38

Steven Sostrom (USA)
Articles: 4
Count of Thanks: 8
Steven Sostrom

I am working on a Grundig model 1088 radio. I had everything working except for the FM band. Originally the tuner was stiff and did not turn freely. I cleaned and oiled it and it turns much more freely now. Also the capacitor across the audio output tube had shorted and there was no sound.

I knew that the FM local oscillator was not working because although I could receive nothing except for a small place on the dial that I get 2 stations at once, I could get other stations when I swept my test oscillator up and down the dial.

I re-tested the ECC85 tube (RF amp. and local oscilllator). The mutual conductance checker tested it as questionable or marginal. The emission tester indicated that it is good on both sections. I raised the filament voltage 50% for a period of time in an atempt to rejuvenate it. When I put the tube back in place. the radio played nicely! It seems that a marginal tube will not work for the RF amp. and local oscilllator.

I do not hear anything from the electrostatic speakers that are mounted on the left and right sides. Apparently they will need to be replaced. Does anyone knw where to get a pair?

Steven Sostrom

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

FM- Unit to not works 
13.Apr.05 12:14

Hans M. Knoll (D)
Editor
Articles: 2163
Count of Thanks: 4
Hans M. Knoll

Hello Steven,

i will help you here to find a solution for this problem.

Next time ( one day)  i come back with recommentation for you.

In the meantime, read here
http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_forum_post.cfm?thread_id=41574

you can see there, your ideas are right.

Regards, Hans

Mister Konrad Birkner, give me a Phone: "No FM reception" ist solved!
HMK

FM is working 
19.Apr.05 01:45

Steven Sostrom (USA)
Articles: 4
Count of Thanks: 7
Steven Sostrom

Thank you for your reply. I read the article that you referred to. Quite an episode.
Sometimes it takes a while to find something that may be hiding in front of you.

I purchased a new ECC85 tube at a radio show this past weekend. FM is more reliable now.