ID: 150456
This article refers to the component: To the tube/semiconductor

Mysterious P-, O- and U- tube-series: 
07.Oct.07 12:52

Jacob Roschy (D)
Articles: 1766
Count of Thanks: 16
Jacob Roschy

By doing research in the "Brans Tube Vademecum 1947", as well as in the "Röhren-Codex", I found 3 mysterious tube- series:

- an O - series with 0.15 A heater current, consisting of OBC3, OBF2, OCH4, OH4, OF1, OF5, OF9 and OM5.

By further investigating I found out, many of them are similar or equal to other better known tube types, some others differ only in heater data.

Here are the results as follows:

Equivalent types:

OBC3
12SQ7(-GT)
OH4
12A8(-GT)
OF1
6S7(-G-GT)
OF5
12K7(-G-GT)

Types with equal characteristics, but different heater voltage ( heater current = 0.15 A ) :

Type
equal charac-teristics to
same base diagram as
heater voltage
OBF2
EBF2
UBL1
OCH4
UCH4
UCH4
OF9
UF9
UF9
OM5
~UM4
UM4

- Next I found a P - series with 0.3 A heater current, consisting of PAB1, PBF2, PF9, PH4 and PM5.

Equivalent to other tube types are:
PF9
6K7(-G-GT)
PH4
6A8(-G-GT)

Types with equal characteristics, but different base diagram or heater data ( heater current = 0.3 A, voltage = 6.3 V ) :
Type
same base diagram as
PAB1
EAB1
EAB1
PBF2
~6B8(-G-GT)
6B8(-G-GT)
PM5
OM5
UM4

- At last I found an U - series with 0.1 A heater current, consisting of UBC1, UBF2, UF8 and UL1:
Types with equal characteristics, but different heater voltage ( heater current = 0.1 A ) :

Type
same base diagram as
heater voltage
UBC1
~UBC41
-
UBF2
EBF2
UBL1
UF8
EF8
-
UL1
~UL41
-

By investigating in the internet about these tubes, I found as follows:

a Radio type AL4112H, made by PHILIPS INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA is shown, which has the tube lineup: OH4 OF5 OBC1 50L6GT 35Z5GT.

The use of these O- types together with 50L6GT and 35Z5GT clearly profes the 0.15 A heater current of the O- tube series, unlike as in the polish "Universal Vademecum", as mentined in
 «Anybody knows this tuning indicator?» post 3 - (see also there).

shows another Philips set, Mod. AL552-H-61 ( 1942 ), also from Philips-Argentina,
tube lineup is: PH4 PF9 PF9 PBF2 PM5 25L6 25Z6.

The use of these P- types together with 25L6GT and 25Z5GT clearly profes the 0.3 A heater current of these P- tube series, also unlike as told in the polish "Universal Vademecum".

These interesting internet finds also shows to the South American market of the Philips company as the origin of these elsewhere mysterious tubes.
By now, I don't know, whether Philips produced these tubes in their mother company in the Netherlands especially for the South American market, or if PHILIPS INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA had an own tube production line there.

Best Regards,
Jacob Roschy

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

? OBC1 
30.Oct.09 17:06

Juan Carlos FRANCO (RA)
Articles: 50
Count of Thanks: 12
Juan Carlos FRANCO

Hi Jacob !
sorry for my english.

Afterday i suscribe an new model for Philips Argentina
AL849 H this radio use this tubes !

OH4 OF5 OBC1 35Z5 50L6

Regads,

Juan Carlos Franco
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Interesting contribution ! 
31.Oct.09 08:03

Jacob Roschy (D)
Articles: 1766
Count of Thanks: 18
Jacob Roschy

Hi Juan Carlos,

many thanks for this interesting contribution !

This tubes series released by Philips Argentina is still most unknown to the rest of the world, so any information about them is very welcome !

We tube collectors would be very delighted if you could post pictures of these tubes OH4, OF5 and OBC1 into their pages here in the RM.

Tanks in advance and best Regards,

Jacob