philco: Sportster E-675 (E675) Cabinet description

ID: 140284
philco: Sportster E-675 (E675) Cabinet description 
07.May.07 18:24

Mario Bermejo (RA)
Articles: 237
Count of Thanks: 9
Mario Bermejo

I have uploaded some pictures of this radio and now I've realized that the cabinet is described as "Leather / canvas / plastic - but WOOD beneath!" But in reality this set has no wood at all. The cabinet is leather (cowhide) with some hard cardboard attached on the back and front, the rest of it its just plain leather with no inner structure of any kind.

Checking the options when uploading a new model, I also discovered that there is no option for "leather only" cabinets. Perhaps we should add such a description?

Mario

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Leather radio case 
07.May.07 22:24

Thomas Albrecht (USA)
Officer
Articles: 384
Count of Thanks: 6
Thomas Albrecht

Mario,

Leather + cardboard cases are fairly common on American portable radios.  It may not be possible for the administrators to have options for everything.  Perhaps sometime in the future another option will be added.  For now, you can simply add a comment that clarifies the situation. 

Here's an example from a leather-cased General Electric portable that I entered a year or two ago:  General_Electric_P776B .  The comment in the "Notes" field clarifies the cabinet material.

Best regards,

Tom

New material selections 
07.May.07 22:36

Ernst Erb (CH)
Officer
Articles: 5742
Count of Thanks: 5
Ernst Erb

Dear Mario
I understand your question very well.
When I have set up all the possibilities I had to see that it still is rather easy to select and therefore had to offer something between a minumum and a maximum of offers.

Since this case is not much off the description and not so often found we can leave it like it is: What could be done is instead of adding write it a bit more open like "Leather /canvas / plastic- normally WOOD beneath!" instead of the "Leather / canvas / plastic - but WOOD beneath!"

But then members would not really know when to use the normal term "plastic" and when this one.

Best solution (to me) is to write what it is as a sentence or two in the notes. Anyway it is good for every model to contain a certain description in the notes to differenciate onw model from the otehr in terms of content for searching engines. therefore it is very good to duplicate also the anem and model number of the model there within a sentence.

PS:
I just see that it took me longer than Thomas to express myself and therefore my posting is below of his despite the fact that there was not an answer yet ;-)
Well, Thomas comes to the same conclusion and has a good example of what I suggested.

08.May.07 02:58

Mario Bermejo (RA)
Count of Thanks: 7
Mario Bermejo

Thank you Thomas for your opinion. This method was also very common in my neck of the woods, one manufacturer called Noblex had, that I know of, 5 different models built in this fashion, with the cowhide "reinforced" on the back and front. This made me believe that perhaps this is a fairly common method of construction that merits a special mention.

Thank you Ernst, Since I did not upload the model, I was wondering whether I should propose a change or not, even if it is only to add that detail in the notes. But just now I was putting that set back in the shelf and discovered that the model number is different. The little label attached inside the set shows E675-124 Perhaps a variant?

So now I am not sure what to do, should I add a new model with the 124 variant and clarify in the notes of BOTH models the fact that this is a cowhide only cabinet? I've looked at the schematic posted and can see no difference with the model I have.

Mario

PD: you can see the model number when looking carefully at the picture that shows the inside of the radio. Perhaps this is the only variant ever built?

Variant or not? 
08.May.07 08:30

Ernst Erb (CH)
Officer
Articles: 5742
Count of Thanks: 5
Ernst Erb

Dear Mario
Since we don't know if the "other model" does or does not have "-124" we can not be sure if there are two variants or even more. Unfortunately I can not really read the plate. Maybe another "take" (closer) might do the job.

I think best would be for the moment to put a text into the notes about your finding.
As a principle you are right: If we find out the existance of variants it is best to put the difference into the field "variant" (should be short like different tube or transistor or "old" and "new" etc. Plus some text into the notes explaining the differences (or the lack of found differences).
Cordially,

Ernest

08.May.07 14:48

Mario Bermejo (RA)
Count of Thanks: 6
Mario Bermejo

Thank you Ernst, I have submitted a suggestion to change the notes field, in order to include the cabinet details and also the fact that we have seen at least one ocurrence of model label with the addition of the -124 digits. I will post a close up of the back so you can all take a look. If we find any other sets, then we can think of correcting the variant field or perhaps adding a different record.
Thanks to all

Mario