Disregard-I got what I needed

ID: 122095
Disregard-I got what I needed 
25.Sep.06 20:26

Philip Navarrete (USA)
Articles: 13
Count of Thanks: 4

I originally asked for the schematic which I now have.

Philip Navarrete

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

26.Sep.06 06:51

Omer Suleimanagich (USA)
Articles: 429
Count of Thanks: 5
Omer Suleimanagich

Wait a second!  Are you telling us that Grundig-Majestics were sold at Sears back in the day?

What is the difference between the "WE" and "U" models?

7035/USA 
26.Sep.06 14:20

Philip Navarrete (USA)

Hi Omer,

Here's the scoop. Any information pertaining to history of Grundig-Majestic 7035WE and 7035/USA whether Sears-Roebuck has something to do with this or anything about origins I suggest you ask Konrad Buckner. I'll tell you how I got involved in all this. I acquired a console radio and I wanted to restore it. Naturally the first thing I wanted to do was to get the schematic. The back cover of the console had the following information. Musical Instrument 7035/USA. Majestic International Corporation New York, NY and Chicago, Ill. The back cover also showed the tube complement, ECH81, ECC85, EF89, EABC80,EL84 and EM34/35. The name on the front of the console read Grundig-Majestic. The chassis read made in Western Germany. That's all I know about the history. All I wanted to do was get the schematic so I could troubleshoot it. I sent inquiries to several websites asking for schematic for Grundig-Majestic 7035/USA. Then I joined radiomuseum and asked for the same thing, schematic for Grundig-Majestic 7035/USA. To make a long story short I was given a schematic 7035WE. But in the section I was troubleshooting the EL84, audio output tube my physical wiring differed from the schematic as follows. The plate in my radio was connected to a 2200pf capacitor in series with a 10K resistor to ground. In the 7035WE schematic the plate was connected to a 4.7MF capacitior to ground (you can look it up). It was then that I thought maybe there is a 7035 schematic, which was listed in radiomuseum that was my radio. So I requested it. That's where I am now, looking for the schematic that matches my radio. That schematic would show I hope the wiring of my radio including the EL84 plate with the 2200pf cap and the 10K resistor to ground. Who knows there may be other differences between the 7035WE and the 7035/USA. So does anyone have the schematic that matches my radio. Also Konrad did a nice job updating the Grundig 7035 and I had a hand in that. Thank's Konrad. I hope this sheds a little more light on this. Please feel free to get back to me so that I can learn more about radiomuseum and everyone.

Philip Navarrete

Grundig Majestic listings within SAMS Photofact Indexes 
26.Sep.06 16:08

Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22 (USA)
Articles: 363
Count of Thanks: 6
Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22

Good day gentlemen,

I very respectfully disagree that there would have been a Grundig  model 7035 console produced for the USA market, based upon 2 separate master  listings by the SAMS Photofact indices. NOTE: The August 1961 MASTER INDEX to SAMS Photofacts and the much later listing in 1976 reflect the identical numerical models in the 7xxx series, and are listed as follows.

7000, 7005, 7015. . . . . . . .409-9
7018. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .442-7
7025. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .403-8
7028. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .419-5
7068. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .403-8

In the 1961 SAMS Photofact, Sears-Roebuck stores did sell a model 7035, however, that radio was produced by Silvertone (not Grundig). Sears also sold a few radio models made by the  Meteor company and those model numbers in the 7xxx series were as follows:
7000, 7001, 7016A, 7016B, 7043, 7043A, and model 7047

I have found their listings to be quite accurate; and I am also aware that there were a few models sold ONLY through the US military exchanges throughout Germany in the late 1950s and early 1960s. . . . . .I visited the exchanges as a US military aircrew member from early 1963, and occasionally an aircrew member would purchase a domestic Grundig radio (or even the console) and return with it to the USA. Naturally, the 70xx consoles would not have been available in 1963 or later, I referred to them to attest to the possibility of some domestic Grundig models "showing up in the USA" when they were not "exported" to the USA. My father-in-law brought a new Grundig 5295 back via US military aircraft.

I also understand from many discussions with our esteemed Senior Administrator Herr Konrad Birkner that it is can be very difficult to confirm or deny the technical accuracy of the model numbers for the export markets. However, the SAMS listings have proven to me to be somewhat reliable.

Respectfully,
Robert Sarbell

26.Sep.06 17:58

Konrad Birkner † 12.08.2014 (D)
Articles: 2333
Count of Thanks: 7
Konrad Birkner † 12.08.2014

Thank You, gentlemen, for the kudos!

Just to inform other readers I would like to emphasize that we record each model from any existing source. (Stable source, of course, not a sole web information which could disappear tomorrow).

As long as  hardware or printed matter shows a model, we shall accept it, regardless whether the information contained is correct or false.  If it turns out to be incorrect, this has to be noted and as such preserved. Otherwise some times later somebody else will try to bring it in again. Therefore we better do it right away under the best possible control.

It does not matter if the 7035 is really a Grundig or not. As long as there is physical or printed evidence it is ok. Our aim is tracability of models, not just the one and only "true" name.

At some time or other we may get the real facts, be it through research or by a fluke. Who knows...

Happy collecting!
KoBi

Remark:
For German radios the suffix U can mean either AC/DC or FM, while a W means AC.
G stands for DC, GW for AC/DC.  E may be export (seldom used). USA is certainly not a technical suffix but denotes an export version for the US. But there is no general standard....

GRUNDIG 7035WE and 7035USA 
26.Sep.06 18:06

Hans M. Knoll (D)
Editor
Articles: 2163
Hans M. Knoll

Beide Modelle sind aus dem Jahr 1956

der 7035WE hat die Zeichnungs. Nummer 2037-200

der 7035USA hat die Z. Nummer 2047-100

Quelle Grundig Kundendienst Liste (intern)

mfg. hmk

26.Sep.06 18:08

Hans M. Knoll (D)
Editor
Articles: 2163
Count of Thanks: 4
Hans M. Knoll

Der 7035USA hat die Nummer 2037-100 habe mich vertippt.

Schematic 
26.Sep.06 20:01

This may help in the meantime: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/grundig_musikgeraet_3025.html 

The chassis seems to be similar , save for LW instead of 2nd SW.

It also features Your 2200 pF +10 kOhm, has 4 band tone control (Wunschklangregister), and identical tube lineup.

27.Sep.06 08:40

Count of Thanks: 8

Oops, I have overlooked the previous answers.
Thanks to Herr Knoll we know the documentation now.
I hope somebody can find and provide it.

That is what I call teamwork!
Thanks again to everybody,
Kobi

Grundig 
29.Sep.06 16:37

Philip Navarrete (USA)

Hi Robert,

I think you have the best explanation of who made my Grundig. Since Grundig is printed on the radio my bet is as you said that it was sold through the US military exchange throughout Germany in the late 1950's and early 1960's. Most likely a serviceman purchased this radio/console and returned with it to the USA. I now have a schematic that matches my radio thanks to Konrad Birkner. Also a question. Is it possible I could view the Sams you mentioned to see if any match my radio? I don't want to buy one and find it doesn't match. Do you have those Sams?

Philip Navarrete

29.Sep.06 22:55

Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22 (USA)
Articles: 363
Count of Thanks: 6
Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22

Dear Kobi and Philip,

First comment is to clarify an "incomplete" statement that I made earlier regarding the Grundig audio and video items sold through the military exchanges in Germany. Typically there could be 2 different models sold:
1. those sold in the exchange would have the model number followed by the suffix "PX". There was no 7035USA offered through the military exchanges.

2. As in the military exchanges in the Orient, there would also be large facilities wherein the local merchants (whether in Japan or the UK or in France or also in Germany or the Netherlands, etc.) would sell some domestic product lines to the authorized military users. In those instances, it would be possible to purchase a German version of the Grundig 7035. . . . .it would NOT have the exact circuitry of the imported "Majestic" models.

I have been told by Herr Knoll, and I have carefully examined the schematic he refers to - schematic identification number is 12457 and it happens to have the identical circuitry of the 7000USA and the 7015USA.

I do not have the complete SAMS Photofact folders, but I will email you the portions that Hans has identified and also send the single sheet schematic.

Respectfully,
Robert