radiomuseum.org
Please click your language flag. Bitte Sprachflagge klicken.
 

Radio Ferrymead - Museum of Sound and Radio

8022 Christchurch, New Zealand-Aotearoa (Canterbury)

Address Ferrymead Heritage Park
269 Bridle Path Rd. 
 
Floor area unfortunately not known yet  
 
Museum typ Exhibition
Radio and Kommunication in general
  • Mechanical Music Instruments
  • TV and image recording
  • Wire- & tape recording
  • Record players with pick up
  • Media
  • Radios (Broadcast receivers)
  • Transmitting and Studio technique
  • Measuring Instruments, Lab Equipment
  • Gramophone (no electrical sound transmission)
  • Audio amplifier


Opening times
The studio is open for public viewing on weekends between 10am - 3pm.
Tours can be arranged outside weekend hours upon request from interested groups.

Admission
Status from 09/2021
The radio museum is inside the Ferrymead Heritage Park and doesn’t have extra admission.

Contact
Tel.:+64-3-384 5678  eMail:listen radioferrymead.co.nz  

Homepage www.radioferrymead.co.nz

Our page for Radio Ferrymead - Museum of Sound and Radio in Christchurch, New Zealand-Aotearoa, is not yet administrated by a Radiomuseum.org member. Please write to us about your experience with this museum, for corrections of our data or sending photos by using the Contact Form to the Museum Finder.

Location / Directions
S43.565411° E172.708334°S43°33.92466' E172°42.50004'S43°33'55.4796" E172°42'30.0024"

Christchurch is the largest city in the South Island of New Zealand. The Ferrymead Railway is located within the Ferrymead Heritage Park in south-east Christchurch.

Ferrymead Heritage Park is a museum in Christchurch, New Zealand, housing groups with historical themes, mainly transport related.

The Museum is in a large corrugated iron building located in the NE corner of the Heritage Park. It is about 500 metres from the main Ferrymead Heritage Park but visitors, if not walking, can easily take a tram or train ride to the Museum.

By car:
Take Ferry Road east from city centre towards Sumner. Take first right over Heathcote River Bridge, down Bridle Path Road and follow signs to Ferrymead Heritage Park.

By bus:
Take bus number 35 from the city.

Enter via Ferrymead Heritage Park
50 Ferrymead Park Drive

Description

Radio Ferrymead 1413 kHz AM at 900W

Radio Ferrymead broadcasts a variety of music spanning five decades, from the 1940s to the 1990s.
It is the only station in Christchurch that plays vinyl LPs and 45s, along with 78 rpm recordings and CDs. It is a rare resource for any person or group interested in learning more about New Zealand’s music history and seeing an earlier radio station at work, one based on an era when the AM band was the only frequency of radio in New Zealand.

The station broadcasts each weekend from Friday at 8.00am until Monday midnight, with live announcing Saturday and Sunday   The studio is run entirely by volunteers who have a genuine interest in broadcasting good listening music.

Tourists and locals alike enjoy viewing the radio studios, the announcers on air, the vinyl record library (which contains over 120,000 records) and the Museum of Sound and Radio, which houses the world-class Dini  Collection of early music players and gramophones .
The unique quality of Radio Ferrymead lies in its accessibility to its audience and the Canterbury community.

Active AM nostalgia (program) radio station.

Museum of Sound and Radio at Ferrymead Heritage Park houses this country’s largest collection of classic and antique sound recording equipment. The collection, regarded as one of the best of its kind in the world, contains antique and classic musical equipment of a historical range. It gathers together 19th century “music boxes” and “organettes”, along with early 20th century “gramophones”. The core of this display has become known as the “Dini Collection”, named for William S. “Bill” Dini.

Born in 1908, Bill Dini developed a fascination with gramophones through his showman father, who toured New Zealand in the 1890’s with an early Edison phonograph player, a crowd-pleasing exhibit in its day. Bill may be remembered as the operator of the Antigua Boatsheds on the Avon River, part of the recreational scene in Christchurch from 1946 to 1978.

In the 60’s, beginning with his father’s original instruments, Bill Dini began collecting and restoring old sound equipments and, at his untimely death in 1980, had built the largest collection in New Zealand and perhaps one of the best of its kind in the world. His legacy offers a comprehensive visual history of the development of recorded sound. Edison’s cylinder-based Phonograph

Completing the display in the Museum of Sound and Radio, are
early to mid-20th century radios,
tape recorders,
television sets,
organs and
various sound recording systems.
A small workshop has been set up with a good range of test equipment for servicing the equipments and
a full technical and magazine library and
a spare parts room are on view. 


Radiomuseum.org presents here one of the many museum pages. We try to bring data for your direct information about all that is relevant. In the list (link above right) you find the complete listing of museums related to "Radio & Co." we have information of. Please help us to be complete and up to date by using the contact form above.

[dsp_museum_detail.cfm]

  
rmXorg