grundig: Grundig Transistor 6001; Satellit

ID: 381507
? grundig: Grundig Transistor 6001; Satellit 
15.Jul.15 09:12

Steve Rowley (GB)
Articles: 24
Count of Thanks: 14

I am having a problem getting my Grundig Satellit 210 to run on batteries. Let me explain. My set is fitted with the proper Grundig mains power pack TN12 that fits inside. The power pack has an inline mains switch that I use to switch the set on and off with. However, the actual on/off switch on the radio set itself does not appear to do anything? You can turn it to 'off' and the radio still plays (providing the power pack switch is 'on' of course). Maybe the on/off switch on the set is faulty and has been bypassed (or simply stays on, although it does 'click'), or is it only functional in battery mode? in other words, when using the TN12 is the radio on/off function controlled only by the inline switch associated with the TN12 power pack? I don't know...

Now, I have put six 'D' batteries into the set, I have removed the TN12 mains power pack, put the 'mains/battery' selector switch to 'battery' and nothing happens - dead set? There's now a redundant 'battery style' connector in the back of the set that previously hooked up to the power pack, I'm wondering if that should be connected to another point now although I can't see anything either in the back of the set or in the battery compartment that it could be connected to. I'm also wondering if the set's on/off switch that I referred to earlier is broken, open circuit. Also, the battery condition meter will not register anything. The set just seems dead as if there's a connection missing somewhere. But it works fine from the TN12 power pack, not on batteries.

Any ideas?

Edit: HTML code removed

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

switching the Satellite 6001 to battery operation 
15.Jul.15 19:25
37 from 4572

Jan Terranea (NL)
Articles: 62
Count of Thanks: 9
Jan Terranea

Dear Steve,

At the rear of the radio below the tape recorder connection there is a slide-switch: battery/mains.

Best regards,

Jan Terranea.

set hacked, probably 
30.Jul.15 23:43
266 from 4572

Ruben Garcia Bayon (E)
Articles: 53

Hi Steve

The "battery style" connector used with the TN12 does not need to connect to anything. Just change the switch from mains to battery. Front on/off switch must run with both battery and TN12 (mains), so I believe that anybody had changed the conections inside the radio. May be the ones near the battery box. As I can remember there are six cables, in two groups of tree cables, red, yellow and black.

You could check with the schema, but if need, I could made a photo of this part.

I agree, hacked 
31.Jul.15 10:46
299 from 4572

Steve Rowley (GB)
Articles: 24

Yes I agree, it looks like someone has bypassed the main switch or something.  When I get around to restoring the set I'll take a good look at the wiring associated with the on off switch etc etc. Thanks guys.

About Dial Illumination 
02.Aug.15 17:40
372 from 4572

Henning Oelkers (D)
Editor
Articles: 603
Henning Oelkers

Hi, Steve, When this set is on AC Mains, and turned on, the Dial Illumination schould be on. If You switch it off by the normal On-Off Switch, the Dial Illumination stays on. This is normal, the Light only goes off, when the Power Supply in Lineswitch is turned off. Hope this helps to avoid any confusion, when You check the Function of the Switch. Best Regards, Henning