radiomuseum.org
Please click your language flag. Bitte Sprachflagge klicken.

Tube Philips 505 Cine Sonor (.33.)

Moderators:
Jacob Roschy Martin Renz Ernst Erb Bernhard Nagel Eilert Menke 

Please click the blue info button to read more about this page.
Forum » Valves / tubes - Semiconductors » VALVES/TUBES / SEMICONDUCTORS in RADIOMUSEUM » Tube Philips 505 Cine Sonor (.33.)

Georges Van Campenhout

B  Articles: 201
Schem.: 68
Pict.: 1213
27.Mar.10 18:48

Count of Thanks: 8
Reply  |  You aren't logged in. (Guest)   1

Dear Radio friends,

I recently received a Philips Tube, model 505.

On top of this tube is written (see pictures)

PHILIPS

CINE SONOR

(.33.)

Inside, one can clearly distinguish two diode systems!

I wonder if this is the same tube??

Attachments:

This article was edited 27.Mar.10 18:49 by Georges Van Campenhout .

Jacob Roschy
Jacob Roschy
D  Articles: 1676
Schem.: 17
Pict.: 68
27.Mar.10 21:24

Count of Thanks: 2
Reply  |  You aren't logged in. (Guest)   2

Hello Georges,

since this tube has merely 3 pins, it can't be anything else then a half-wave rectifier, although two diode systems are visible. It's very likely that you can find a parallel connection inside the tube. I have very little doubt about the correct designation 505.

This method was even used in some other cases: have a look at the second picture of the rectifier type 1803 (under “more”) - and you can see a 1803 which is made in the same way. The connection between the two anodes is clearly visible.

Best Regards, Jacob

Georges Van Campenhout

B  Articles: 201
Schem.: 68
Pict.: 1213
28.Mar.10 11:04

Count of Thanks: 4
Reply  |  You aren't logged in. (Guest)   3

Thank you, Jacob.

Indeed, looking carefully into the glass base shows that the two heaters are connected in series.

But what about the other marking: CINE SONOR?

Was this rectifier used only for cinema applications? Or is there another explanation?

Best regards

Georges

Georg Richter
Georg Richter
Editor
D  Articles: 916
Schem.: 86
Pict.: 606
28.Mar.10 15:16

Count of Thanks: 6
Reply  |  You aren't logged in. (Guest)   4

Philips Eindhoven had a "Cine Sonor" department for cinema equipment production (like Siemens had a separate company "Klangfilm").

It may be that Philips tubes which are labeled "Cine Sonor" was sold for a higher price for "dedicated application", similar to the "Klangfilm" tubes which was (often) standard tubes with a different numbering system to prevent cinema operators to use cheaper tubes for replacement. As far as I know the cinema operators had to sign a contract with the cinema equipment supplier.

I do not know if those "cinema" tubes has had a higher reliability or was selected for reaching the upper limits of the specifications.

If somebody can quote a contract between cinema equipment manufacturers and cinema operators, or can provide data sheets or an advertisement folder of Philips "Cine Sonor" equipment we will know more.

Best Regards

GR

rmXorg