ID: 217074
This article refers to the component: To the tube/semiconductor

Tube Philips 505 Cine Sonor (.33.) 
27.Mar.10 18:48

Georges Van Campenhout † 28.4.22 (B)
Articles: 206
Count of Thanks: 10

Dear Radio friends,

I recently received a Philips Tube, model 505.

On top of this tube is written (see pictures)

PHILIPS

CINE SONOR

(.33.)

Inside, one can clearly distinguish two diode systems!

I wonder if this is the same tube??

Attachments:

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

only 3 pins = half-wave rectifier 
27.Mar.10 21:24
25 from 4776

Jacob Roschy (D)
Articles: 1766
Count of Thanks: 4
Jacob Roschy

Hello Georges,

since this tube has merely 3 pins, it can't be anything else then a half-wave rectifier, although two diode systems are visible. It's very likely that you can find a parallel connection inside the tube. I have very little doubt about the correct designation 505.

This method was even used in some other cases: have a look at the second picture of the rectifier type 1803 (under “more”) - and you can see a 1803 which is made in the same way. The connection between the two anodes is clearly visible.

Best Regards, Jacob

Rectfier tube Philips 505 
28.Mar.10 11:04
70 from 4776

Georges Van Campenhout † 28.4.22 (B)
Articles: 206
Count of Thanks: 6

Thank you, Jacob.

Indeed, looking carefully into the glass base shows that the two heaters are connected in series.

But what about the other marking: CINE SONOR?

Was this rectifier used only for cinema applications? Or is there another explanation?

Best regards

Georges

Cine Sonor 
28.Mar.10 15:16
97 from 4776

Georg Richter (D)
Articles: 916
Count of Thanks: 9
Georg Richter

Philips Eindhoven had a "Cine Sonor" department for cinema equipment production (like Siemens had a separate company "Klangfilm").

It may be that Philips tubes which are labeled "Cine Sonor" was sold for a higher price for "dedicated application", similar to the "Klangfilm" tubes which was (often) standard tubes with a different numbering system to prevent cinema operators to use cheaper tubes for replacement. As far as I know the cinema operators had to sign a contract with the cinema equipment supplier.

I do not know if those "cinema" tubes has had a higher reliability or was selected for reaching the upper limits of the specifications.

If somebody can quote a contract between cinema equipment manufacturers and cinema operators, or can provide data sheets or an advertisement folder of Philips "Cine Sonor" equipment we will know more.

Best Regards

GR