ID: 325930
abbotwares: Z477 Chassis from Abbotwares 
03.Aug.13 12:01

Ernst Erb (CH)
Officer
Articles: 5742
Count of Thanks: 21
Ernst Erb

Up to now we did only show one model page for the different Abbotware radios with a horse on top or an other figure. As a first step I only created five model pages more and was after that searching for more information. This after moving the pictures to the right models. Then I detected three more under wrong names and integrated the pictures to the right models and deleted the wrong entries.

Here what I found in "The Billboard" November 15, 1947 on the "Marchandise-Classified" pages 76 (text) and 77 (pictures) - as a summary, followed by pictures:

Ads by "Allied Distributors", 417 S.W. 12th Ave., Portland 5, Oregon in "The Billboard" November 15, 1947 on page 76 and 77 with a price list of the same radios in different materials like Bronze (no suffix), Copper (C), Silver (S), Gold (G), Black and Silver (Y) and a Palomino (X). The are called "Western Horse Radio" and were offered in 3 different sizes. With no accessories they start with an R for the model number, followed by 1 for 7.5 inch size, 2 for 10.5 inch and 3 for 12.5 inch size. With a clock they start with C instead of R, D means 1 pen holder and clock (only for the small size), B means two pen holders (only for the two bigger ones).
Example Model R3C is in Bronze, size 12.5 inch. C3C would have a clock.

There was also offered an 13.5 inch "Rearing Horse and Rider Radio" as number 4 with otherwise same designations and options. Number 5 is the "Lady Godiva on Horse Radio" but this was only available as R5 with 2 pen holders or without accessories. The last offer then was number 6 as "Two Race Horses with Jockeys", all in Bronze. R6 is with no accossories, B6 with two pen holders, C6 with clock and D6 with 1 pen holder and clock.

Original prices were from $ 36 up to $ 83.75 depending on size, material and accessories.

Probably most use the same chassis Z477 for AM 550-1650 kHz with a 4" speaker for AC/DC operation on 110 volts.Brass plate dial with engraved and painted frequencies, two swirled plastic knobs. The tube line-up is
12BE6 (RF), 12BA6 (IF), 12AT6 (Det.), 50B5 (Audio) and 35W4 (Rect.).

We can assume that the 3 mentioned models were out 1947 and more models like for instance the "Two Rearing Horses" were offered later. Possibly they have the same chassis, but perhaps not.

I hope now that some members with more knowledge help to complete this collection. Maybe a guest has one or knows more?

As a guest, please use the link "Contact" on the bottom of each RMorg-page to bring in more information like measures, weight, pictures new models etc.

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.