blaupunkt: Blaupunkt Verona 2608 capacitor identification

ID: 620091
? blaupunkt: Blaupunkt Verona 2608 capacitor identification 
16.Apr.23 19:01

Hello:

I am restoring a Blaupunkt Verona 3D 2608.  I've been replacing capacitors and electrolytics and I'm confused by a capacitor listing.  The capacitor is identified as 10  N150  5% in the parts list.  What should the actual capacitance of the capacitor be?  I don't know how to interpret 10  N150  5%.  Should I assume that the dogbone capacitors in this radio are listed in picofarads?  I've taken out the old capacitor and tried measuring it.  Using a Sencor L102 I come up with 190 picofarads.

Pardon my ignorance.  Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments:

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

16.Apr.23 20:19
18 from 402

Rolf Beckers (D)
Editor
Articles: 210
Rolf Beckers

Dear Sven,

This is probately a 150 picoFarad cap. The fact that you measure 180 pF might be a measuring failure, because such low capacities are somewhat difficult to measure. In general: the socalled dogbone capacitors do almost no never fail. I'd never change this kind of capacitors.

Regards, Rolf

16.Apr.23 21:10
30 from 402

Dear Rolf,

Thank you for the quick reply.  I just managed to find an alternate part number for the capacitor from Sprague.  Apparently it is a temperature stable (N150) 10 picofarad capacitor with a 5% tolerance.  With further testing using my Sencor LC-102 capacitor tester it looks to be well out of tolerance at 1.9 pf.  That seems to be the case with just about every capacitor I've tested in this radio, along with a few resistors.

Best regards,

Sven

16.Apr.23 21:41
34 from 402

Andreas Steinmetz (D)
Editor
Articles: 730
Count of Thanks: 1

Dear Sven,

you´re right: The capacity should be 10pF.

The meanings of the printing on the capacitor´s body:
10 stands for 10 pF
F stands for tolerance of max. +-1 pF
f stands for max. 500V DC
The colour mark (probably faded with the years) stands for the ceramic material with a temperature coefficient of N150 (Tk = 150 * 10-6 / degree celsius).
See also this table.

A very low capacity of just 10 pF is not easy to be mesured because of the wiring capacities. So I suppose that your capacitor is o.k., not out of tolerance. As Mr. Beckers posted, this kind of capacitors usually don´t fail...