shenzhen-d: Degen DE1103 DSP version - Current consumption

ID: 577255
shenzhen-d: Degen DE1103 DSP version - Current consumption 
17.Jun.22 09:49

Jose Mesquita (P)
Articles: 110
Count of Thanks: 2
Jose Mesquita

The Degen DSP based version released in 2015 replaced the original PLL double conversion version of 2004.

I have measured the current consumption of the DE1103 DSP unit, expecting to see lower battery consumption when operating, but that was not the case, confirming other publicly available reports from owners and testers. Although the standby current was fairly low fluctuating below 100 uA.

This model monitors the battery state, and it may show the battery level using the Signal level indicator. However, to see it one needs to press the Vol/CHG button to display the battery level for a couple of seconds before returning to the signal level indication.

In my testing, using Ni-MH batteries, when the battery capacity level goes below 3.8V (0.95V per battery), the radio simply powers itself off, so the usability of such battery monitoring feature is limited. I did not test it with 1.5V dry batteries, but I would not expect a different behavior.

The battery monitoring is integrated into the STM8L152C6T6 MCU, where an integrated ZeroPower Power-ON Reset (POR) coupled with a Brownout Reset (BOR) circuitry, and a programmable voltage detector (PVD) monitoring the VDD line compares it to one from 7 levels, from 1.85V and 3.05V, being able to generate an interrupt that would allow to send a warning message.

That interrupt service routine seems to not being used in this model, at it just powers off when the battery level is lower than the programmed theshold level (or else I did not seee the message, probably because if it was displayed, it was for very short amount of time to be noticed).

Test conditions

5.5Volt (4 x 1.38V) from 4 x Ni-MH everActive 1900mAh on a external holder conected to the Battery compartment terminals. 

Current measurements

Radio sate Current 
Powered Off state (standby) 70 to 100 uA (avg. 80 uA)
LED lights for LCD backlight & keys 28 mA
SW 13m band (21700 kHz) - volume level 00 45 mA
SW 90m band (3300 kHz) - volume level 00 45 mA
MW band (720 kHz) - volume level 00 55 mA
FM band (76.08 MHz)  - volume level 00 67 mA
FM band (98.6 MHz)  - volume level 10 (medium volume) 97 mA
FM band (98.6 MHz) - volume level 26 (high volume) 136 mA

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.