gemeinsch: DAF1011 (DAF 1011); Block capacitor s

ID: 173422
gemeinsch: DAF1011 (DAF 1011); Block capacitor s 
18.Sep.08 22:30

Michele Denber (USA)
Articles: 129
Count of Thanks: 3
Michele Denber

Now that I have removed the insides from my block capacitor, I need to figure out the best way to put the new ones inside the empty shell of the original.  There's plenty of room since the old one measures  3.5" x 2.5" x 4" (9 x 6.5 x 10.4 cm).  The new capacitors only measure 1 5/8" x 1" x  1 7/16" (4 x 2.7 x 3.5 cm) each.  Does anyone have a good idea of how to secure the two new capacitors?  I could:

1. glue them to the inside of the original shell,

2. make a bracket to fit inside the shell and mount them to that,

3. just let them lie loose,

4. melt new wax and embed them in that, or perhaps something better that I have not thought of.  Has anyone else done this?  What would you recommend?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks / danke / merci.

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

18.Sep.08 23:13

Thomas Albrecht (USA)
Officer
Articles: 384
Count of Thanks: 4
Thomas Albrecht

Michele,

As you point out, there are a variety of ways to solve this problem, and I'm sure you will find that different people have different preferences.

One method I use for mechanically mounting capacitors is to use silicone caulk.  It can easily fill large gaps, so it is quite suitable for attaching cylindrical objects (e.g., modern tubular capacitor) to flat surfaces (e.g., inside of a block capacitor housing).  It is also a good electrical insulator (priovided you let it cure first).  Since it's flexible, it will not let go with thermal cycling or age.  It adheres well to virtually any surface.

Typical products would be GE Silicone or RTV Silicon caulk for general purpose household applications.

This approach doesn't necessarily look very pretty, but for areas that are not easily visible, it is an effective and reliable solution.

Best regards,

Tom

19.Sep.08 02:18

Michele Denber (USA)
Michele Denber

Wow, that sounds like the best idea yet.  I even have some RTV handy but it's normally  for automotive use so I hadn't thought to try it for this purpose.  But now that you mention it, this does seem like the ideal solution to this problem.  Thanks so much for the suggestion!  Now I can proceed with my DAF restoration.  Thanks!

19.Sep.08 16:00

Emilio Ciardiello (I)
Editor
Articles: 533
Count of Thanks: 2
Emilio Ciardiello

Dear Michele,

A good alternate filler for your job is a polyurethane foam. It is light, cheap and can be easily removed if you need to replace some components again. A thin layer of liquid compound is enough, since it rapidly increases its volume while curing and fills the empty spaces. After curing, the excess foam can easily be cut away. Its surface can be also lacquered to the wanted colour.

Best regards,

Emilio

Hot melt glue 
20.Sep.08 00:17

Rüdiger Walz (D)
Officer
Articles: 743
Rüdiger Walz

Dear Michele,

I fix new capaciators with hot melt glue. It can easily be adjusted or changed. Example see here.

Best regards

Rüdiger Walz

21.Sep.08 05:08

Michele Denber (USA)
Count of Thanks: 2
Michele Denber

Grazie to Emilio and danke sehr to Ruediger for two more excellent suggestions.  Those are some very impressive photos.  I can only hope my restoration comes out as good.  Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply to my question.

- Michele