George Pal- Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp (1936)

ID: 144172
George Pal- Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp (1936) 
07.Jul.07 04:32

Omer Suleimanagich (USA)
Articles: 429
Count of Thanks: 6
Omer Suleimanagich

This is a George Pal cartoon (made in 1936) that was made to promote Philips light bulbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soxIiTQopxU

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

07.Jul.07 19:42

Mario Bermejo (RA)
Articles: 237
Mario Bermejo

Wonderful Omer! Thanks for the link. Now THIS is what I call advertisement! :)

Mario

07.Jul.07 22:31

Omer Suleimanagich (USA)
Count of Thanks: 7
Omer Suleimanagich

Mario,

Before the late George Pal came to the United States, he developed the techniques for motion capture animation.

Finishing his studies in his native Hungary, he first went off to Germany, then to France and then to the Netherlands.  It was in the Netherlands, that he made cartoon shorts that were shown in movie theaters in Europe, promoting Philips products.

By 1938, he realized war was looming in Europe, so he moved on to the United States.

In the US he didn't stop, and he proceeded to establish himself as the father of motion capture. 

So respected he was in the animation community, he was very close friends with Walt Disney and Walter Lantz.

What is very sad Mario, the very industry he started in Hollywood, has practically forgotten him! 

Next year, being George Pal's hundredth birthday, nobody at Pixar or Disney has even made any move to celebrate this man's centennial birthday!

http://www.scifistation.com/george_pal/legacyof.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPG-t8j23-E

08.Jul.07 23:11

Mario Bermejo (RA)
Count of Thanks: 5
Mario Bermejo

Very sad indeed. I mentioned this to a friend who told me that George Pal's grave is in Culver City and it is only a marble tombstone with his name on it. No mention of his work whatsoever.

Mario

10.Jul.07 04:53

Omer Suleimanagich (USA)
Omer Suleimanagich

Funny that you should mention Culver City.

I happen to live in Culver city and kind of, have an idea where Gearge Pal's grave is. 

As you know, Culver City was home to MGM.  Their former studios is where Sony Pictures is now located.

Back to the late George Pal.  As I was mentioning earlier in this thread, Pal made many Puppetoon shorts for Philips, Netherlands.

Being that RMorg is the place where we discuss topics relating to vintage radio, we should try to maybe find a way that Philips can resurect these cartoons for some new ad campaign, and quite possibly acknowledge (the father of motion capture animation)  George Pal's centennial birthday.

Perhaps, Georg Richter could approach Philips directly.  I am pretty sure that Philips still owns all the copyrights to these cartoons.

At least Philips could find space for all of these cartoons on their company server, for people to view and enjoy!

Omer

11.Jul.07 01:14

Mario Bermejo (RA)
Mario Bermejo

That´s a great idea Omer, lets see if someone can make it happen!

Mario

14.Jul.07 02:17

Omer Suleimanagich (USA)
Omer Suleimanagich

Just out of curiousity,  does anybody know if these cartoons were seen in Europe, as well as North America?

Was this ad campaign intended just for North America?

16.Jul.07 06:50

Omer Suleimanagich (USA)
Omer Suleimanagich

Jukka, great ad, but don't you think it desreves a thread on RMorg for itself?!

What's important about George Pal's work, it was all done as regular cartoons for theaters, but also to promote Philips products.

George Pal's work, was considered cutting edge technology almost into the '90's!

His name definately deserves a place in radio history, just for these cartoons!