grundig: 5040W/USA (5040 W/USA); Majestic (export model)

ID: 138756
grundig: 5040W/USA (5040 W/USA); Majestic (export model) 
16.Apr.07 20:10

Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22 (USA)
Articles: 363
Count of Thanks: 10
Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22

Dear members from USA,

Please assist in any manner that you can with information which may be used to support the somewhat rare Majestic model 5040W/USA which has been suggested by Herr Knoll.

To introduce this posting, I have kept 2 of the 3 pages of ebaY USA listing and sale on 21 March 2003 for a model:

GRUNDIG-MAJESTIC 3D-KLANG RADIO. . . . . . . . .

Within the text description, the seller identifies the radio as the Type 5040W/3D, and the front photo is quite apparently the "Majestic" version.

I believe Herr Knoll has earlier discussed the likelihood of the production of the "Ausfuhrung B" variants.

Respectfully,
Robert
PS: Needless to say, the radio sold for a very handsome price - even 4 years ago

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

17.Apr.07 08:59

Omer Suleimanagich (USA)
Articles: 429
Count of Thanks: 9
Omer Suleimanagich

Robert, please reference, http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=471171&sid=772eb056f09272232de15f0722d269fcon,  www.antiqueradios.com.

Ross was discussing the 5040 model, and if I'm not mistaken, I believe that he might have an example, or at least know where one is.

If it is any help, I do have the 5050 US model without the autotuning option.

5040 "Majestic" 
17.Apr.07 15:13

Ross Hochstrasser (USA)
Articles: 24
Count of Thanks: 7
Ross Hochstrasser

Greetings,

This has puzzled me also. I have 2 Grundig Majestic 5040's of my own and have a 3rd one here for repair. Mine do say "Majestic" on the front plaque, but the legends on the dial are in German and the FM goes only to 100mHz.Only one of mine has the shutoff for the autotune.I only have the rear cover for one of them and it does not say Majestic, just Grundig. The one here for repair says Majestic on the front and rear cover with  5040W/USA and FM to 108 with English on the dial.So all 3 radios are different in some way.  My question is: why do my 5040W/3D radios with German writing on the dials and FM to 100 say Majestic on the front plaques?? Did Majestic buy out old inventory at some point and have the plaques changed? Very interesting! By the way, what a great sounding radio!!  I'll get the three of them lined up for a photo shoot later this week and post the pictures. Good Day! Ross

5040 "Majestic" 
17.Apr.07 15:16

Ross Hochstrasser (USA)
Articles: 24
Count of Thanks: 10
Ross Hochstrasser

Hi again,

I just looked at my 4040W/3D and it also says Majestic on the front plaque.But it wasn't made for the US market. These are the only ones I've seen with this curiousity. Ross

Confirmation of my G5040W3D also 
17.Apr.07 17:15

Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22 (USA)
Articles: 363
Count of Thanks: 14
Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22

Greetings Ross,

Your observations agree completely with mine. . . . .I am positive there were early negotiations with the US Importers of Majestic; and most likely some production models originally designed for the domestic market were exported to the east coast and west coast distribution centers.

When I received my radio from the seller in New Hampshire in July 2004, it had only a "broken" right upper logo with the letters "NDIG Majestic". The lower left logos I believe are identical and read "3D Klang". . . . . . .

I was unable to locate the original logo, and some MOST helpful members of RMorg were kind enough to locate and ship safely to me the items I needed to "resurrect" my 5040W3D.

There was no rear panel with the radio when it was advertised on ebaY. The seller apparently had no idea of the age of the radio or its composition as she had advertised it as a "RADIO GRUNDIG BAKELITE 1940s LARGE NO RESERVE" . 

As far as the UKW (FM) band is concerned, my 5040W3D has the 87.5 to 100MHz range. And the dial glass had the part number 444-040 and 22.10.54 printed along its left edge. Some early production models also had the shamrock logo of the Majestic Importers.

The motor tuning on my model permits independent pre-set positions for the UKW I and UKW II presskeys. The sound quality is absolutely superb.

Respectfully.
Robert
PS: I wish to add one additional comment. . .I have a photo from an ebaY advertisement from a gentleman in Canada whose father Herr Heinz Meinhardt, bought his Grundig 5040W3D new, on 5 September 1954, from  the HELMUT HERZIG Rundfunk Fachgerschaft Ahaus/Westf for 500DM and the Nummer is 444-10053 ...........that is the lowest production number which I have recorded on any of the 444-chassis in my documentation files