grundig: Where do I get re-foam my 8058; Majestic speaker surrounds

ID: 277410
? grundig: Where do I get re-foam my 8058; Majestic speaker surrounds 
29.Jan.12 01:17

Don Jaksa (USA)
Articles: 12
Count of Thanks: 7

The 10.5 inch woofer needs a new surround

Where can I find a replacement foam surround?

Is there another way to replace the foam surrounds?

Corrected image width, must be smaller than 600 pixels wide !!! WB.
Attachments:

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Weather foam strip 
29.Jan.12 08:40
32 from 6305

Emilio Ciardiello (I)
Editor
Articles: 533
Count of Thanks: 9
Emilio Ciardiello

Dear Don,

you can use an adhesive weather foam strip, normally available in hardware shops to seal windows or doors.

Emilio

Polyurethane foam mat 
29.Jan.12 12:10
55 from 6305

Rüdiger Walz (D)
Officer
Articles: 743
Count of Thanks: 8
Rüdiger Walz

Recently I had the same problem and will report about the restoration of an 8058 soon. I took a Polyurethane (PU) mat ( 3-4 mm thick) from a do-it-yourself shop which is used for many purposes e.g. disigning puppets.

PU foam unfortunately is not very long lasting if you do not add anti aging additives. In 1958 the know how was not developed.

I cut a ring out of the mat and glued with a special glue for foam materials to the cone and chassis of the speaker (pictures will be in my report). Before you start you have to fix the coil of the cone in the slit in the middle with paper stripes. You also have to remove carefully the old foam from the cone and chassis.The coil has to move freely in the slit after the foam is fixed.

After the cone is fixed I glued an extra strip of PU foam on the chassis as decribed in the previous thread. In my case it worked well and the bass performance of the loudspeaker is outstanding.

Rüdiger Walz

Grundig loudspeaker foam 
29.Jan.12 14:15
85 from 6305

Howard Craven (GB)
Articles: 110
Count of Thanks: 8

Hello,

I restored a Grundig 3028 a while ago and the foam had turned to dust on the main loudspeaker. I replaced it with draught excluder as shown here ...

On that occasion I used white draught excluder but have since managed to find it in brown.  It is self adhesive on the back so it just presses on and it stays in place. It is usually used around doors and windows so you will probably find some in a hardware shop and it's cheap too.

Regards ......Howard

Surrey Hills, England

No kit available (yet) 
29.Jan.12 19:31
105 from 6305

Don Jaksa (USA)
Articles: 12
Count of Thanks: 6

After extensive research, I now know that there is not a kit I can buy to replace the foam surround for these vintage speakers. (Sounds like a business opportunuty)

I thank everyone for their input

And Howard Craven, your 3028 restoration thread was the basis for my own 3028 restoration, so we are old friends and never knew it

I will look for the appropriate material and see what I can do