mial: 145; Oscillatore

ID: 149385
This article refers to the model: Oscillatore 145 (MIAL; Milano)

mial: 145; Oscillatore 
20.Sep.07 14:12

Enrico Bonisolo (I)
Articles: 25
Count of Thanks: 4

I have a identical generator, but mine is labeled LAEL 145 instead of MIAL 145, so I figure it to be more recent (MIAL later keep its original name only for capacitors, potentiometers and other parts). It is also equipped with a Ech4 and an unmarked octal black glass tube as rectifier, could be a 6H6 but I don't know for sure. E1r tube was probably used only in early series: it was a military all purpose triode exode used at its time in all stages (even as audio output and rectifier!) in some military sets, this for having only one tube type to keep as spare. In an old radio text i read that it is electrically an ECH3 but with theECH4 connections layout.

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Lael 145 
21.Sep.07 20:05

Emilio Ciardiello (I)
Editor
Articles: 533
Count of Thanks: 4
Emilio Ciardiello

Dear Enrico

may be that you have a missing link between the early Mial generators and the Lael production of the early 60s: please check if there is any suffix in your model. I have one Lael model 145-C that at first glance looks very similar to the Mial 145, even if it had been deeply re-designed, with the use of one 6U8 miniature tube and one selenium rectifier. Also the band switching drum was replaced by a conventional rotary switch.

Since Lael started the production of the Mial generator with its own name, a smooth evolution of the product could be expected, from Lael model 145, to 145-A and -B, before reaching the suffix C. May be that the substitution of the E1R, used as rectifier, with an octal tube is one of the early change to the original design. After all, the use of a mixer tube as rectifier was not the best solution at all! It is true that some receivers, like the Ducati RR5418, used a lot of E1R inside, but this was the first time I saw one used as HV rectifier.

In order to facilitate any visual comparison, I loaded some pictures of the internal chassis in the entry of the Mial 145. By the way, in RMorg there is the entry of the Lael 145-C

I also loaded the pictures of two tables, silk-screened close to the sockets of the two E1R tubes, which give the allowed substitutions both for the oscillator and for the rectifier.

Emilio Ciardiello

mia l- lael 145 
27.Sep.07 11:59

Enrico Bonisolo (I)
Articles: 25
Count of Thanks: 5

Dear Emilio,

I looked to my Lael but I only seen 145 with no suffix, on front I can read S 17 and N° 1008. I also opened it, the unknown rectifier tube is a VR54: I seen here on radiomuseum that it is a EB34 equivalent, so here there is a true diode for rectyfing instead of one of the lot of other tubes used as diodes that could be fitted in your generator. I also seen that is an original factory mounting. (The chassis hole for this octal socket is too little for take a philips european socket) Out of this (and the removing of original box electrolytics changed with 70's blue tubular philips by someone in past), the internal is identical to your.

I have had this generator in 80's as a gift from an old radio repairman, and I still use it for vintage radio alignment...

Have a great day!

Enrico

LAEL 145 
29.Sep.07 12:18

Emilio Ciardiello (I)
Editor
Articles: 533
Count of Thanks: 5
Emilio Ciardiello

Dear Enrico,

may be that you have one of the early generators built when the prduction of this RF generator was tranferred from Mial to Lael. You could well add a new entry for it in RMorg, as Lael 145, since the model now coded is the Lael 145C, which is quite different.

Emilio