emerson: Need Advice on Replacement Cap for Emerson Model 504 180

ID: 647472
? emerson: Need Advice on Replacement Cap for Emerson Model 504 180 
28.Jan.24 20:30

Jonathan Reed (USA)
Articles: 3
Count of Thanks: 1

I am recapping an Emerson 504 180-degree dial face tube radio. I am replacing C19 which looks like it reduces mains hum on the output tube. This cap has an isolation coil on it. 0.2 mfd 200 WV Capacitor. Picture Link HERE.

My questions are:

1) How close in mfd does this have to match as 0.2 is not on hand, have 0.25 mfd. 650WV

2) Should this be a safety cap?

3) What should I do with the coil? 

4) Do I need to find the outside foil on this one as the use case seems to need more isolation? 

Thank you,

Jonathan Reed

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

29.Jan.24 14:10
69 from 405

Torbjörn Forsman (S)
Articles: 152
Count of Thanks: 2

Hi mr Reed,

C19 should be a safety capacitor, according to modern safety rules it should have an Y2 approval but as such capacitors do not exist with higher capacitances than possibly 10 nF, you will have to use an X2 capacitor anyway. Make sure that it has an AC voltage rating, not just DC.

Its value is not very critical, 0.2 , 0.22 or 0.25 uF will do well.

I cant find the coil in any schematic where the C19 appears, but in one of the schematics uploaded to the model, there is a capacitor C15 in a similar position which may have a coil in series.  If that coil is connected in series with your C19, leave it as it is, connected in series with the new capacitor.

I dont think you have to bother much about which end is the outer foil of the capacitor in this case.

C9 should also be an Y2 safety capacitor, if it isnt fitted in your set it would might be a good idea to retrofit one.

C16 should be of an X2 type.

Best regards

Torbjörn Forsman

29.Jan.24 15:44
87 from 405

Jonathan Reed (USA)
Articles: 3
Count of Thanks: 1

Hi Mr. Forsman,

Thank you for the detailed answer. It is greatly appreciated. I will take your advice and move forward. 

Thanks again,

Jonathan

04.Feb.24 19:46
184 from 405

The radio is working well. I still need to clean the pots and the variable cap tuner and clean etc. 

Deleted: Extern link.