ID: 193430
? philips: 314X (314 X);  
29.Jun.09 23:57

Mario Coelho (P)
Articles: 454
Count of Thanks: 15
Mario Coelho

Hello,

I've here a Portuguese Philips catalogue from 1940.

It includes a Philips 314X.

But this one  has 4 wave positions: 3 for 13,5 to 570 meters, plus one to receive local broadcast. The 314X model in Rmorg has omly 3 positions.

It also refers that a 7882C vibrator can be used  from a DC source.

At time  Philips radio sets were exported to Portugal from Holland.

My I infer that in this catalogue I have a  Philips -Netherlands radio or I have an Philips-Germany radio for exportation?

Thak you in advance for your help.

Mario

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Ph 314X wave bands 
30.Jun.09 02:00

Bruno Gandolfo-Canepa (RCH)
Articles: 132
Count of Thanks: 13
Bruno Gandolfo-Canepa

Dear Mario,

The 1940 Catalogue information about the 314X model does not agree with my radio set wave bands characteristics. The attached dial glass photo from my set shows the same information placed in the 314X model in the radiomuseum page.

I have revised the Pieter de Kock site and his model looks same as mine. One MW and two SW bands. 

I do not know another 314X set in the internet to check the dial glass wave bands information.

Attached my model identification plate.

Respectfully,

Bruno Gandolfo.

Another local band's 314X 
01.Jul.09 00:12

Mario Coelho (P)
Count of Thanks: 10
Mario Coelho

Dear Bruno

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

A friend sent me now an information about  another 314X  with a Local Band plus. It was found in  http://www.datastress.com/~mario/radio/types.php?group=300

All schematics  wich I have seen are equal (Rmorg's and Radiotechniek's).They refer only 2 SW ,plus one MW. They don't refer a Local Band plus.

Those schematics are writen in English. Their nationality  is not described . (Philips- Netherlands or Philips-Germany).

I think  that your set is Duch, because there is an E (from Eindhoven) before the serial number. (According to this Forum article): http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/photos_of_name_plates_are_very_essential.html

Respectfully

Mario Coelho

314X variant? 
01.Jul.09 06:48

Count of Thanks: 18
Bruno Gandolfo-Canepa

Dear Mario,

The Mario Huizinga site information about the Philips 314X was provided by Pieter de Kock (Pieters Oude Radio's) and is the same information I did mentioned to you. Unfortunately the 314X as many other export models from Philips have scarce documentation and the collectors in Brazil, South Africa and Chile share the same information.

I have the 13 pages copy of the original Philips Service Documentation for the receiver 314X dated 1939 and they are not mentioned other model variant.

I think all the export models from Philips were manufactured in the Netherlands and they have the realized "E" letter before the serial number.

I remain puzzled with your observation in the Portuguese catalogue from 1940. 

Cordially, 

Bruno.

? Maritime Band 
01.Jul.09 18:52

Mario Coelho (P)
Count of Thanks: 11
Mario Coelho

Dear Bruno

I agree with you. These radios were "export models" from Netherlands. Not from Germany.

You remain puzzled with my observation in the Portuguese catalogue from 1940.

That Local Band in the Portuguese catalogue is not so strange to me. Is usual to see a wave band plus in several  radios exported to Portugal.That is the  "Maritime Band." 

Maritime Band: (Onda maritima) was a very useful band for Portuguese families to listen messages from codfish fleets crews fishing in North Canada's seas.

Taking in consideration all this facts,  I think that, one can suggest the creation of  two new models.

Philips-Eindhoven-Netherland 314X - Exported model

and a

Philips-Eindhoven-Netherland 314X - Exported model - Variant

Do you agree?

Cordially

Mario Coelho

LW band? 
01.Jul.09 21:59

Count of Thanks: 10
Bruno Gandolfo-Canepa

Dear Mario,

The maritime band (75-185m band (4-1,62Mc) is included in the 314X model who cover continuously from 535.5 Kc to 22.2 Mc (560 to 13.5 meters) in three wave bands (SW1-SW2 and MW).

According the Portuguese Catalogue the model has "3 posiciones para ondas de 13.5 a 570 metros y una posicion para recepción de emisoras locales" . We can presume the emisoras locales meant the LW band. According others Philips export models as the 291A, the LW band should cover 750 to 2100 meters (400-143 Kc).

The Catalogue probably depict a "portuguese" 314X variant but we need to obtain the precise information to propose as a new model to the Administrators. 

Surely you have realized the 314X should be in place of the 314H in the post 5 and 304X in post 1. You can edit the wrong models numbers.

Best regards,

Bruno. 

Quite right 
02.Jul.09 00:54

Mario Coelho (P)
Count of Thanks: 12
Mario Coelho

Dear Bruno

You are quite right. Thank you for your remarks.

In fact the Maritime Band is included in 560 to 13.5 meters range. Sorry, I didn't pay attention to the frequencies ranges.  I take back my last assertion.

So, the remaining band must be one LW , as you said.

Maybe Pieter de Kock can help us to confirm the right range in his dial glass.

The Pieter's 314X is refered in Mario Huizinga site with MW local, yet:

Bands SW 13.8-45 m
SW 50-160 m
MW 200-550 m
MW local
Tubes EF8
ECH3
EBF2
EL3
AZ1
EM4

Best Regards

Mário Coelho

314X has only three wave bands 
04.Jul.09 17:35

Count of Thanks: 13
Bruno Gandolfo-Canepa

Dear Mario,

After some investigation and analyzing in deep the schematics we can conclude the 314X has only three wave bands as the original Radiomuseum page describes. Technically MW local does not qualify as another, 4th, band.  It is the same band - 200 to 585m - as the regular MW, but with reduced sensitivity.  A few resistors are switched when selecting this band, nothing more.

My gratitude to the Philips radio collector Pieter de Kock in South Africa for help me to clarify this particular topic.

The differences in the dial glass are in the local station names and not in the wave band numbers. Thats difference does not constitute a model variant and it is only a variation for the local market.

Best regards,

Bruno.

? Further actions 
08.Jul.09 14:48

Mario Coelho (P)
Mario Coelho

Dear Bruno,

Thank you once again, for your reply and for your efforts to let us come to a right conclusion.

Because this  number of bands versus number of positions detail  have made some confusion, do you agree it have to be shown in Notes?  (To avoid this same questions in future consultions).

Also,  this is a Dutch radio  in a German page. Is it not?  If it is , what to do ? Let it stay as it is?

Best Regards

Mário

Changed to Philips Netherland 
08.Jul.09 16:20

Bernhard Nagel (D)
Officer
Articles: 1685
Bernhard Nagel

Of course, this model belongs to Philips Netherlands. The type label (according to post #2) shows the designation "E" for Philips Eindhoven. This has been changed now.

Cordially, Bernhard