philips: B1F503A;

ID: 155947
This article refers to the model: BIF503A (Philips Electrical (Ireland) Ltd.; Dublin)

philips: B1F503A;  
05.Jan.08 00:30

Maitiu Standun (IRL)
Articles: 160
Count of Thanks: 5
Maitiu Standun

correction, this model made in the philips factory in dublin , ireland , b means table model and i. f stands for irish free state, maitiu standun.

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

F = France 
05.Jan.08 01:02

Ernst Erb (CH)
Officer
Articles: 5742
Ernst Erb

Dear maitiu
Please post only things where you can give reasons and references. No jokes please.
You may be right but I doubt it. F stands for France as you can see in this table which comes from official sources.

bif503 
05.Jan.08 14:49

Maitiu Standun (IRL)
Maitiu Standun

dear ernst, i take this task and interest with the utmost seriousness , and assure you that my information comes from an  impecable sourse, who in rmorg knows about the accuracy of a french set ?the import tarriffs in the ireland of the early 20th century of electrical goods were so punative that a french or 'foreign'radio set would cost three times the commercial value of the normal price , remember it was before the free trade era , and pre ec time ,

philips manufactured a vast range of models in dublin , from 1926 on , and had their own model numbers and terms , also all beginning with bif , and i have this info from neil o'callaghan ,[hees not a computer person but he would be happy to converse with your good self or a moderator],   , who worked on the trade counter in clonskeagh [philips ireland], for 37 years, phone 01-2984714

assuring you of my serious intentions in the future, currently working on pictures for the model pages in conjunction with kobis assistance ,       best regards maitiu.

Philips Ireland 
05.Jan.08 19:43

Ernst Erb (CH)
Officer
Count of Thanks: 6
Ernst Erb

Dear Maitiu
Thank you very much for your positive approach. I will take contact with that gentleman. Hopefully he can provide us with production lists. Sure that Philips did assemble and probably later also build radios in Ireland. But we will have to know more before we change an official Designation for France. I know that you understand this.

My problem could be time ... So if you have some lists or so or can organize this would help a lot. Perhaps Philips had also different brands in your country like in Switzerland and other countries - with same chassis than the brand Philips?

Philips Ireland 
05.Jan.08 20:38

Michael Schlör † 30.10.22 (D)
Articles: 82
Count of Thanks: 4
Michael Schlör † 30.10.22

I think, it is not necessary to change an offical Designation for France, because:you can see the fault in the B1F503A changement-history. There Mr.Standun wrote the right designation with: BIF503A. And "IF" is the code for Ireland. The administration had changed the "i" to a "1".
So this radio is applied to the wrong country.

Cheerio,bye-bye,
Michael Schlör
DJ8IJ

bif503a 
05.Jan.08 21:46

Maitiu Standun (IRL)
Count of Thanks: 6
Maitiu Standun

hello michael, thank you for that, its pritty ovious now whats happened now that you've highlighted it . [ the one as compared to an i].

this set is in my collection , and is based on the philips' bx' series  except it uses a wooden case instead of bakelite,doesent have the horizental valve , and is suitable only for the local 220 v supply [mains] , unlike the uk and continental versions with the little circular carasell at the rear for different mains supplies , glad you cleared this   up, best regards maitiu.    

Eire - Ireland (Irland) 
05.Jan.08 22:20

Ernst Erb (CH)
Officer
Ernst Erb

Dear Maitiu
Thanks to Michael Schlör we have now a progress.
He is right about an admin who was not aware of the BIF.  You can insist with IF because this is also in the list I made once on maker Philps Netherlands - but you have no luck with i.F you show in Post 1 - unless somebody has the time to dig for your sake - which is not the task for a model admin.

I changed the name to BIF503A after I entered the Irish Philips to the maker list.

What I don't understand: You show us the set with the tubes (thank you) but you did not name the tube line up. Can you please go to the model and enter the valves? The form is also not yet given but easy.

Since this is now the first Philips from Eire - can you enter more or find someone in your country to enter more? Would be nice to have more IF ;-)
I will gladly help you if help is needed.

Philips Designations and Codes 
05.Jan.08 22:41

Roy Johnson (GB)
Articles: 284

Dear All,

I think this reference may have been given in a  German forum?

But repeated here:-

http://people.cs.uu.nl/gerard/RadioCorner/Articles/PhilType.htm#seclet

Regards,

Roy

Philips Designations and Codes 
08.Jan.08 09:33

Ernst Erb (CH)
Officer
Count of Thanks: 4
Ernst Erb

Since years we list the coding at the maker's page (NL).

Would be nice if somebody writes them in English by selecting Philips Eindhoven (NL) and from there writing a forum article - since all 5 text fields on the maker's page are "taken". This may also be a copy of my text which I wrote in September 2004. We should have our own sources - at the right place.