Resistor 600 ohm 2%din: need replacement

ID: 122993
Resistor 600 ohm 2%din: need replacement 
08.Oct.06 15:38

Joseph Christilles (USA)
Articles: 22
Count of Thanks: 2

Hello, this is my first post, I have just received my password to join.   

I have a Grundig 5299.  Just got it, and its my first radio to restore.  I have two  600 ohm 2%din 2w 0.5 resistors, with what looks like ( r c ) at the end in a very small symbol.  The resistor is all black.   Anyway I checked one of the resistors with my fluke ohm meter and it reads 1700k.  I want to replace both.  What should I use? I have problems with the radio. Seller said it worked fine, Ebay.  Well one ELL80 was blown. I repalced, and found the plate inside glowing a pretty red.  I am now going to replace all of the wax/paper caps.  Two to that tube are 22nf, but read 120nf with my fluke cap testor.  Anyway I just dont know what type of resistor to use or where to get one.  Is this a special type?  Thank you;  Joe

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Resistor Repacement 
08.Oct.06 18:18

Georg Beckmann (D)
Editor
Articles: 442
Georg Beckmann

Hi,

if I guess right, the Resistors have the designators R131 and R132. If so,

the purpose of this resistors is to filter the Anode supply voltage. Don't fool yourself about the tolerance. There is no reason for it. Any Resistor with at least 2W and between 560R and 680R
surely will do the job.

Sometimes such parts where used, because they had a lot on stock or could be bought cheaper than an standard 10% tolerance type.

First find out the reason for the overload that killed the resistors. The C110/C112/C113 is a suspect. If so, use 3 single caps, they are easier the get.

If the tubes get red anode plates, check the caps to the grid 1.

Hope it helps, would be nice to hear about a success ( or even desaster )

Georg

08.Oct.06 19:50

Joseph Christilles (USA)
Articles: 22

Hello, thanks for the info.  Yes it is the R131,R132 I am talking about.  I have ordered new caps to replace the paper ones and also new electorlytics to replace the caps in the can on top of the chassis that these resistors go to.  I will probably put the new electolytics under the chassis, there is more than enough room it looks like.  I would like to put in the can, but this seems to be a little difficult, we'll see. 

One more question.   I have 3 paper caps that are in the mica range.  I have ordered micas to replace them.  Should these be replaced or should I leave them.. I have read that mica's usually don't go bad but these are paper.

I will post how it goes when its up and running, or if its not.   Hopefully the glowing tube will stop glowing after the recap. 

Thanks again;  Joe