radiomuseum.org
Please click your language flag. Bitte Sprachflagge klicken.

sears-roeb: A nice model family with the same cabinet

Moderators:
Martin Renz Ernst Erb Vincent de Franco Martin Bösch Mark Hippenstiel Bernhard Nagel Otmar Jung Heribert Jung Eilert Menke 

Please click the blue info button to read more about this page.
Forum » Radios and other type of sets (Physics) etc. » MODELS DISPLAYED » sears-roeb: A nice model family with the same cabinet

Ernst Erb
Ernst Erb
Officer
CH  Articles: 5659
Schem.: 13754
Pict.: 31012
13.Oct.12 18:05

Count of Thanks: 7
Reply  |  You aren't logged in. (Guest)   1

Sears, Roebuck & Co. gave Noblitt-Sparks Industries with its own brand "Arvin" the manufacturer code 132. You can see the manufacturer code list by member John Kusching here on post 3.

Probably 1950 Sears selected a nice looking cabinet for quite a series of different models. We know at least a 5 tube version, a 6 tube version and even an eight tube version. Here you find a similar cabinet which would fit for the cabinet for Sears: Arvin model 460T with chassis RE-284, which was available in Ivory, Willow Green and Sandelwood. Here we will not link all those Arvin models, but even around 1953/54 it seems that Noblitt Sparks has it still as 760T with chassis RE342 as 6 tube radio for broadcast only. With the chassis RE-277 and RE-277-1, Noblitt-Sparks built also AM-FM models with 8 tubes, for instance model Arvin 480TFM and 481TFM.

For Sears we find at least the following models with the same cabinet:
6 tube broadcast receivers:
Silvertone 15 with chassis 132.844, Silvertone 16 with chassis 132.844-1, Silvertone 15 with chassis 132.884, 132.884-1 and 132.884-2.
Probably a year later we can find a 5 tube model with broadcast and SW in the same cabinet as Silvertone 2022, chassis 132.027.
But there are also 8 tube AM-FM-models with transformer for AC only in that same cabinet, the Silvertone 18 with chassis 132.877 and the Silvertone 20 with chassis 132.877.

I wrote this article because I found at eBay a model "Silvertone Catalog # 18 AM/FM Bakelite Tube Radio", for which I created a new model page. I believe now that it belongs to Silvertone 18, chassis 132.877, but with this analysis I could find quite a family with this cabinet. I will link this text to the named models. For each a user can get this common information.

What is still in question is:
Is this really a Bakelite mould or is it modern plastic?
I know that in the USA bakelite is sometimes called plastic - even in catalogs - and for getting a better price at eBay you find often the opposite: A set is called "Bakelite" but it is of plastic.
Without knowing how to test one directly on the material, one can often not distinguish. Seldom a photo can tell ...

This article was edited 13.Oct.12 21:20 by Ernst Erb .

rmXorg