sherwood: Sherwood s-3000 v

ID: 558513
This article refers to the model: FM-MX Tuner S-3000 V (5) (Sherwood, Chicago)

? sherwood: Sherwood s-3000 v 
24.Aug.21 02:29

I have a Sherwood FM tuner s-3000V with the MPX in the unit with a copper plate and adjustments,   I have had this for over 10 years.   I did a upgrade on the electrolytic caps that was in a can  60,60,40,10 was the microfarads.   I removed it and replaced them with axial caps and when I was done and I listened to it the sound was much more open, it sounded great.    Over time I wanted to get it aligned so I sent it to someone to aligne it.  Well I got it back and it was clear but the open sound stage was gone as he removed my caps and put a can back in.    Now fast forward to today and I decided to replace the caps again to get that great sound and when I was looking at the unit I found that the person had replaced the 

60,60,40,10 with a 40,40,20, can cap and tied in a 68 microfarad cap with the 20 microfarad.  He tied two circuits into one.  I change the caps back to origninal specs and now I cannot tune in any stations, its like nothing is out there.   

MY question is was the fm alignment messed up when I replaced the caps back to spec.   I do not do alligments but suspect that this is the case and now I should  either look for someone to align the tuner or buy new caps and put it back to the way it was  but with better caps.   

I have included a pic of the tuner with my upgrade.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  

Regards

Joseph 

--------

Picture included by Dietmar Rudolph

Attachments:

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

25.Aug.21 14:54
81 from 735

I have added a schematic of the unit.

Attachments:

25.Aug.21 15:05
84 from 735

Its the C120 cap that I am refering to where the values were changed.  The 10 microfarad in the schmatic was changed too a 20 mfd and 68 mfd tied in paralel  which is 88 mfd.  I think when the radio was aligned with those caps installed and I changed the radio back to its proper specs the alignment is now off because of the huge reduction in microfarads feeding the tube.   

I have tried to talk to people in my area and they are hard to find.  One person told me its not because of the mfd change that it maybe a tube, but this radio did receive stations before the change was done.  Plus he told me it was going to cost a lot of money to look at it, so that is a dead end.

04.Sep.21 16:10
253 from 735

Well I guess I will answer my own question...  Yes if the capacitor values are changed it will change the alignment.     I put in new capacitors, 80 mfd and 8 mfd paralleled and two 40 mfd's the way it was aligned but I installed better caps.  When I turned the unit on the tubes warmed up and the stations came in.   The sound is much better that it was with the little can capacitor installed, it is more open, bass is much better.

Attachments: