sony: Sony ICF-110B/W: Volume potentiometer damage, spare parts?

ID: 557018
This article refers to the model: IC-11 3Band IC+FET ICF-110W (Sony Corporation; Tokyo)

? sony: Sony ICF-110B/W: Volume potentiometer damage, spare parts? 
29.Jun.21 16:17

My Sony ICF-110W unit is in very bad shape. Lots of battery corrosion inside, over the IF transformers shielding and metal front cover trims and paint.

Previous owner had the unit repaired, probably to fix a broken telescopic antenna that was replaced by a regular chinese antenna that was reshaped at the base to fit the back cover, resulting on a very bad job. The original antenna uses a special large base, ball style joint, and feature a nice red tip. While doing so, they also managed to brake the ferrite antenna that was badly glued on a amateur job. As if it was not enough , they used synthetic metallic varnish to seal all the shaft nuts and screws they could find, making further maintenance operations difficult.

As a result of such service operations, the volume pot was damaged as well, as the shaft was blocked with the varnish. A nightmare, making almost impossible to dismantle the radio in order to clean all the mess and try to restoite its operation.

Now, I know that there are no original spare parts anymore forr these vintage radios, at least without cannibalizing another unit, but I wonder if someone has leftovers from previous jobs that can part with?

Anyhow, I have gently forced the volume potentiometer out of the chassis frame, trying to not causing additional damage, and have dismantled the unit. Unfortunately the fragile old bakelite supporting the cursor was broken in the process. Used thinner to free the central shaft and later used the good old Araldite to join the parts. For the cursor support I used an easy-to-work piece of rigid plastic.

Volume pot components. Broken rotor support.

Chassis frame, showing the volume pot mount point. Reassembled volume pot. Apparently I was lucky as it seems to be working now. Still, I would like a new spare unit.

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

sony: Sony ICF-110B/W: Volume potentiometer damage, spare parts? 
30.Jun.21 12:21
38 from 798

The repaired potentiometer nicely fitted once again in the plastic chassis frame.

The tuning capacitor and dial scale assembly is back to its position on the chassis frame, fixed with a single screw.

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.