stern-roch: 1142.002; Beethoven II (2)

ID: 223326
? stern-roch: 1142.002; Beethoven II (2) 
30.Jun.10 09:29

Riccardo Coradazzi (I)
Articles: 27
Count of Thanks: 5
Riccardo Coradazzi

Dear Guests

I’m trying to restore a Stern-Rochlitz Beethoven 1, with IL taste.

I’ve bought the radio in Germany, and it arrived here already restored in the electronic side.

All power supply eletrolithics, non electrolitics capacitor had been replaced by someone with new ones.

It seems that the restoration has been made up well: the reception is very good, with high sensitivity and strong adjacent channel rejection,

Unfortunately both with FM and CD in, at medium/high volume, I hear a too strong bass presence, with low frequency very distorced and “woofing”,

This makes the listening impossible, because the basses are very distorced.

I’ve tried to change all the capacitor in the feedback final stage with new ones. I tried to change the two EL84 for medium-low frequency circuit branch, and the ECC83

but the result is the same. I can’t imagine that this radio should play in that horrible way...

May You kindly help me?

Cordially

Riccardo

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Bass 
30.Jun.10 22:44
63 from 2416

Henning Oelkers (D)
Editor
Articles: 603
Count of Thanks: 6
Henning Oelkers

Hi, Riccardo,

i have had such radio, but have sold it about a year ago. It was in working Condition, and the sound was very good. The treble is powerfull, and with very good CD's treble is sometimes too strong.

The Bass is powerfull, too, as to be expected with EL84 pp Amp.

I would recommend to make shure to use the line out of a CD Player. Please do not use a headphone output, because they often have a Bass-Boost.

Next You schould check, if turning the Bass Pot ( Tiefen ) can improve the Situation. If not, there is propably something wrong in Your Radio.

You also schould keep in mind, that today many FM Stations have a Bass-boosted signal, which is difficult for the Radio to recieve.

So, the first Attempt is, to use a Line Out of a CD Player, and to check, if Treble and Bass Adjustment is working.

Hope this helps,

Henning

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.