stewart-wa: Stewart Warner model 303 or model 5?

ID: 559455
This article refers to the model: 303 Ch= 5 (Stewart Warner Corp.; Chicago (IL))

? stewart-wa: Stewart Warner model 303 or model 5? 
25.Sep.21 20:13

I'm wondering where the model 303 designation came from.  I have the same radio but all the information cards on it say it's a Model 5. 

After closer examination it appears the Model 5 and Model 305 are basically the same.  The difference may be Canadian built vs USA built.

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

stewart-wa: Stewart Warner model 303 or model 5? 
26.Sep.21 14:25
48 from 466

David Erali (USA)
Editor
Articles: 17

James, you are correct that there is no existing picture on the Model 303 page that verifies the model number.  That said, The Collectors Guide, 7th ed., page 263 has a picture of the front of a model 303 that exactly matches your pictures and the existing pictures.  The Collectors Guide also has a description only of a Model 305 that says it has six knobs.  The Model 303 has five knobs.

The label on your model clearly says Model 5, but the picture on the label shows only the chassis.   A possible explanation is that the model with the cabinet is 303 and the label only refers to the chassis that may have been used in other models.  I have made updates to the model page along these lines.  

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. 

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.