telefunken: 5296 WK; Concerto

ID: 385548
? telefunken: 5296 WK; Concerto 
02.Oct.15 03:38

Mark Kuhn (USA)
Articles: 4
Count of Thanks: 4

Hey everyone! 

I have this console total beauty. I have replace all capacitors pluged in sounded beautiful ran for around 8 hours no issues then It blew the fuse. I replaced it and also found the wires that connect to the blubs where competely melted. I ran new wires and also found a cap that was connect there I couldn't see and also replaced it. I got everthing lighting up again put it back in the console it had low volume and a few minutes later the volume went out put still stay light up. I unplugged it went to pull the chassis out and wow the transformer was super hot. What should I do next I have never had a tranny get so hot before? this cannot benormal it also had a oil smell in the air. 

any help suggestion? 

Thanks 

-Mark 

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Hot Transformers 
04.Oct.15 15:34
108 from 1444

Michael Watterson (IRL)
Editor
Articles: 1037
Count of Thanks: 4

Two main possibilities:

1) Something is still faulty taking too much current.

2) The previous fault overheated the transformer and insulation was damaged, creating a short internally.

Less likely, but check any voltage selector.

Disconnect all the secondary connections from the transformer. See then is it cool or merely warm when powered. If it gets really hot, too hot to touch, or smokes then it's now got an internal short on a winding. It will need rewound or replaced. If it's cool enough, then reconnect all the LT windings, but not HT.

First try with no valves or lamps. If still cool, insert them and check again, If it then is too hot look for a shorted bulb or valve or faulty socket.

If it's still cool, only slightly warm, not too hot to touch, reconnect the HT windings. If  it then overheats examine the HT rectifier and then main smoothing electrolytic capacitor, or any noise suppression paper capacitors you might have missed.

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.