telefunken: M-204; Magnetophon 204

ID: 250481
? telefunken: M-204; Magnetophon 204 
30.Mar.11 23:35

Bob Isaac (USA)
Articles: 108
Count of Thanks: 14
Bob Isaac

With Herr Bauer's wise guidance, I was able to route the exsisting belts correctly. Unfortunately, the main drive belt is stretched a bit too much and frequently jumps off of the pulleys.  There may be a way to adjust the tension, but I do not see it.  Does anyone know how to do this?

If there is no tension adjustment, does anyone have a source for replacement belts for this tape player?

Thank you,

Bob

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

? telefunken: M-204 
31.Mar.11 11:10
40 from 4999

Wolfgang Bauer (A)
Articles: 2479
Count of Thanks: 7
Wolfgang Bauer

Hallo Bob,

there is no adjustment.
I think the belt 1 and 2 has the dimension 140 × 2,5 mm round, but that is not safe.
Please check my details.
You should still get in good radio-workshops.

Regards WB.

This thread was moved automatically. 

This question was moved automatically to the board "Talk" to get more possibilities for answers.

Moved from board »RADIO MODELS DISPLAYED« on 06.Apr.11 11:10 from automatically 

Repair 
02.Jan.12 13:59
204 from 4999

Michael Watterson (IRL)
Editor
Articles: 1037

In the late 1970s we "repaired" stretched or snapped belts, or made smaller replacements out of larger ones by cutting with a scalpel or craft knife and joining the ends with superglue (Cyanoacrylate). This kind of glue actually works better with synthetic rubbers and elastomers than other materials, and other kinds of glue "peel off".

The machines were a mix of reel to reel, N1500, N1700, Umatic, VHS and Betamax video recorders.

now fixed 
02.Jan.12 14:15
208 from 4999

Bob Isaac (USA)
Count of Thanks: 8
Bob Isaac

I first attempted the superglue method, but didn't have any lasting success. My repairs would only hold for less than an hour of play.  After readin Herr Bauer's comment, I 'googled' for German shops advertising reel-to-reel repair parts and found a shop that carried the correct belts.  It now plays beautifully.

Good 
02.Jan.12 14:38
213 from 4999

Michael Watterson (IRL)
Editor
Articles: 1037

Glad to hear it!

The superglue method does need practice and very thin application, then holding the ends together with just the "right" pressure for a few minutes. If the belt is too tight, or joint subject to shearing forces, then the glue fails. The gel kind or kinds for glass have additives that are bad for this application.

technique 
02.Jan.12 17:32
233 from 4999

Bob Isaac (USA)
Count of Thanks: 6
Bob Isaac

I should have mentioned in my reply that I was certain that my lack of success was due to inexperience and poor application rather than any failure of the technique.

This is equally applicable to most of my meager efforts concerning radio repair! Ha ha!

Magnetophon Belt Problem 
17.Mar.12 18:48
264 from 4999

Todd Urness (CDN)
Articles: 2
Count of Thanks: 10

I recently purchased a Telefunken Magnetophon 204. It's in great condition except that the belts needed changing. Unable to find a local supplier, I used O-rings for belts instead. They seem to work fine except the belt responsible for changing the tape speed jumps off the small pulley when changing to a slower speed. I cannot read German and I can't seem to find a service manual that's in English. Does a service manual exist in English?  Furthmore, there are two pulley sizes on the motor. I am guessing this is to compensate for 50 or 60 Hz power line frequency. Since I am in Canada, I placed the belt over the smaller sized pulley since the motor will spin faster on 60Hz than 50Hz. Please let me know if this is correct.

Any comments or suggestions would greatly be appreciated since I really want to get this beautiful piece of equipment working again.

Thanks!

Todd Urness

This thread was moved back manually because it received a valid answer. 

Moved from board »* TALK - visible for members only« on 29.Mar.12 11:58 from Wolfgang Bauer 

Magnetophon Belt Problem 
29.Mar.12 12:08
301 from 4999

Wolfgang Bauer (A)
Articles: 2479
Count of Thanks: 4
Wolfgang Bauer

Hallo Todd,

here you have an adjustment instruction.
Unfortunately only in German.
Maybe it will help further.

Regards WB.

Attachments:

Thanks 
01.Apr.12 18:19
376 from 4999

Todd Urness (CDN)
Articles: 2
Count of Thanks: 9

Thanks Wolfgang. I think I can decipher the German and figure out what's going on. Take care!