mcmichael: Tuning Indicator for 1937 McMichael 137 Tuner

ID: 548801
This article refers to the model: 137 AC/DC (McMichael Radio Ltd.; Slough)

? mcmichael: Tuning Indicator for 1937 McMichael 137 Tuner 
04.Jan.21 15:54

Geoffrey Ring (GB)
Articles: 2
Count of Thanks: 3

Hi,

I am refurbishing a 1937 McMichael 137 Tuner. So far I have good reception on all but the Short Wave band but the T.V.4 Tuning Indicator does not light-up or register on/near/off a station. I am trying to source a repolacement . Any suggestions as to supplier or alternative? It looks like the attachment.

Thanks all,

Geoff

Attachments:

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

mcmichael: Tuning Indicator for 1937 McMichael 137 Tuner 
04.Jan.21 16:56
14 from 668

Rolf Beckers (D)
Editor
Articles: 210
Count of Thanks: 4
Rolf Beckers

Dear Geoffrey,

The tube is very similar and one to one exchangeable to the German type AM1. As this is a more

used type as the TV4 you may get a AM1 at ebay. But it will be difficult anyway and expensive too.

Be prepared for 70 to 100 Euros. If you are able to change the socket you can use the 6E5C from Russia.

But this tube needs 6.3V heater. These tubes you will get between 25 and 35 Euro.

Regards

Rolf

Tuning Indicator for 1937 McMichael 137 Tuner 
04.Jan.21 18:39
39 from 668

Bernhard Nagel (D)
Officer
Articles: 1687
Bernhard Nagel

Hello Geoff,

thank you for your post regarding the McMichael 137 Tiuner, an exceptional nice looking radio!
Since the model page misses the valve line-up (beside the TV4 magic eye indicator), you may want to add these informations with a change suggestion.

Do you also have the schematics available for upolading?

Best regards
Bernhard

Tuning Indicator for 1937 McMichael 137 Tuner 
05.Jan.21 11:53
103 from 668

Geoffrey Ring (GB)
Articles: 2

Hello Bernherd,

Thanks for responding to my query. I have now located a supplier for an alternative to the TV4. However, looking at the exorbitent price being asked, £148, yes 148 pounds, I may reconsider. It is possible to get a far cheaper alternative but it would then require a different fitting to plug it in ..... we shall see!

I did find a full schematic of the tuner on the site which had been uploaded by Howard Craven and which I have successfully downloaded and have to hand.

Not sure where you are but we in the UK have just been put in a full lockdown again so I wont be going out any time soon. Hopefully I will manage to get vaccinated by the end of February, one advantage of being over 70!, and then life may return to a degree of sanity.

Regards,

Geoff