Royal 500 Ch= 7XT40 Circuit #2 1st Production
- United States of America (USA)
- Manufacturer / Brand
- Zenith Radio Corp.; Chicago, IL
- Broadcast Receiver - or past WW2 Tuner
- Radiomuseum.org ID
- alternative name: Chicago Radio Lab
Click on the schematic thumbnail to request the schematic as a free document.
- Number of Transistors
- Main principle
- Superheterodyne (common); ZF/IF 455 kHz; 2 AF stage(s)
- Tuned circuits
- 5 AM circuit(s)
- Wave bands
- Broadcast only (MW).
- Power type and voltage
- Dry Batteries / Batteries: "AA" 4 x 1.5 Volt
- Permanent Magnet Dynamic (PDyn) Loudspeaker (moving coil) / Ø 2.75 inch = 7 cm
- Power out
- 0.1 W (0.18 W max.)
- Plastics (no bakelite or catalin)
- from Radiomuseum.org
- Model: Royal 500 Ch= 7XT40 Circuit #2 [1st Production] - Zenith Radio Corp.; Chicago,
- Very small Portable or Pocket-Set (Handheld) < 8 inch.
- Dimensions (WHD)
- 3.5 x 5.75 x 1.5 inch / 89 x 146 x 38 mm
The Zenith Royal 500 is a battery operated 7 transistor portable BC band radio. The BC band frequency tuning range is 540-1600kHz. The first production run had 4 different chassis due to limited quantities of transistors from various manufacturers. Chassis have chassis numbers along with a color code dot in battery compartment.
55/56 1 7XT40 Circuit 1 Hand Wired Sylvania Black R,Y 55/56 1 7XT40 Circuit 2 Hand Wired Sylvania Maroon R,Y 55/56 1 7XT40Z Hand Wired Raytheon Red R,Y 55/56 1 7XT40Z1 Hand Wired Texas Instr. Green R,Y 56/57 2 7XT40 Hand Wired Sylvania Magenta R,W,Y 56/57 2 7XT40Z1 Hand Wired Texas Instr. Brown R,W,Y 57/58 3 7ZT40 "Revised" PCB Sylvania Magenta L,R,V,W,Y 57/58 3 7ZT40Z PCB Raytheon Orange L,R,V,W,Y
The two 7XT40 chassis from the 1st production run are similar except use different transistors. See notes below for colors.
- Net weight (2.2 lb = 1 kg)
- 1 lb 3 oz (1.187 lb) / 0.539 kg
- Price in first year of sale
- 75.00 $
- Mentioned in
- Zenith Transistor Radios (Pages 10-14, 20, 21)
- Literature/Schematics (1)
- - - Manufacturers Literature (Zenith Service Manual "Royal 500" All transistor Portable Radio)
- Literature/Schematics (2)
- Photofact Folder, Howard W. SAMS (Set 333 Folder 1 dated 10-56)
|Radio a transistor tascabili americane: Zenith Royal 500 “Owl Eyes” (Per cortesia di L.Salvatore/ARM)||3327 KB|
- Documents regarding this model
- Model page created by John Kusching. See "Data change" for further contributors.
- Other Models
Here you find 4295 models, 3917 with images and 3407 with schematics for wireless sets etc. In French: TSF for Télégraphie sans fil.
All listed radios etc. from Zenith Radio Corp.; Chicago, IL