radiomuseum.org

 
Please click your language flag. Bitte Sprachflagge klicken.

History of the manufacturer  

Precedent, brand of A.W. Jacksons Industries; Melbourne & Sydney.

As a member you can upload pictures (but not single models please) and add text.
Both will display your name after an officer has activated your content, and will be displayed under «Further details ...» plus the text also in the forum.
Name: Precedent, brand of A.W. Jacksons Industries; Melbourne & Sydney.    (AUS)  
Abbreviation: precedent
Products: Model types
Summary:

A. W. Jackson Industries Pty Ltd

153-159 Sturt Street, South Melbourne, VIC (1940-1956)
121 Crown St, Surry Hills, NSW (1951-1953)
67 Missenden Rd, Camperdown, NSW (1953-1959)
14 The Crescent, Annandale, NSW (1959-1972)

 

Produced radios, radiograms and (later) televisions. They used Precedent and Breville brand names. 

See also the brand entry for Democrat which were made by A.W. Jackson Metals Pty. Ltd.

Founded: 1939
Closed: 1975
Production: 1948 - 1975
History:
A.W. Jackson Metals Pty, Ltd, galvanizers were established at 153-159 Sturt St, Sth Melbourne around 1939. Around 1948 they started manufacturing radios & radiograms under the "Precedent" & "Democrat" brands. Sometime around 1949 A.W. Jackson Metals Pty, Ltd, became A.W. Jackson Industries Pty, Ltd. A large fire in 1951 at the Sturt St factory caused extensive damage to the building and stock. Also in 1951, A.W. Jackson set up radio manufacturing at 121 Crown St, Surry Hills in Sydney. By 1953 the firm had taken over the radio manufacturing concerns of Breville Radio at 67 Missenden Rd, Camperdown, Sydney. A.W. Jackson manufactured rebadged Precedent radiograms and television sets under the Breville brand until 1959. In July 1955, A.W. Jackson became a subsidiary company of Electronics Industries Ltd (Radio Corporation/Astor). Astor took over A.W. Jacksons former premises at 153-159 Sturt St, which later on housed Astor's record division. A.W. Jackson in turn relocated to Astor's former printing works situated at 666-670 Chapel St, South Yarra. A.W. Jacksons last factory in Melbourne was at the Gainsborough Furniture Pty, Ltd, (another E.I.L. subsidiary) factory at 648a Nicholson St, Nth Fitzroy. After 1964 all A.W. Jackson's manufacturing activities took place in Sydney. A.W. Jackson maintained a Melbourne office at Astor House, 161-173, Sturt St, South Melbourne. After the takeover of Electronics Industries by Philips in 1970, A.W. Jackson remained a subsidiary company & continued to manufacture televisions & radiograms up until at least 1973/74. In 1972 A.W. Jackson moved from Annandale to the former Astor Electronics City site, but then owned by Philips, at 443 Concord Rd, Rhodes, NSW. The last known Precedent product was a rebadged Japanese colour TV set from around 1975.

This manufacturer was suggested by Stuart Irwin.


Some models:
Country Year Name 1st Tube Notes
AUS  62–64 Precedent S24   Broadcast only stereo radiogram with 4-speed record changer. Cabinet finishes available... 
AUS  54 Precedent 534BC 6SA7GT   
AUS  55 Precedent 415 6BE6  The 6N8 is used as the I.F. amplifier for radio but as an audio amplifier when playing rec... 
AUS  55 Precedent 534B 6BE6   
AUS  55 Precedent 534A 6BE6   
AUS  55 Precedent 515 6BE6   
AUS  55 Bristol 79 Ch= M615 6BH5  Dual wave radiogram with 3-speed record changer. Cabinet finished in Walnut. 
AUS  54 Precedent Rex Ch= 614 6SA7GT  Radiogram with 3-speed auto changer. Cabinet finished in Walnut. See also Breville m... 
AUS  54 Precedent 534DW 6SA7GT   
AUS  54–56 Gypsy P544 1R5  Colours available in Burgundy, Cream, Grey & Red. 
AUS  61 661 6FC7  This 23 inch B&W television receiver tuned the 13 standard Australian VHF channels. 
AUS  62 162A [Radio Corp tuner] 6ES8  This 23 inch B&W television receiver tuned the 13 standard Australian VHF channels.... 

[rmxhdet-en]

Further details for this manufacturer by the members (rmfiorg):

In July 1955 Electronic Industries Ltd. Bought out A W Jackson Industries Ltd, From The Argus (Vic) 1 November 1955, page 11.tbn_aus_jackson_buy_out_notice_the_argus_vic_1_nov_1955_page_11.jpg
A.W. Jackson offered technical training to young radio enthusiasts they were employing From The Argus (VIC) 27 January 1950, page 15.tbn_aus_jackson_training_the_argus_vic_27_1_1950_p_15.jpg
A large fire in May 1951 at the Sturt St factory caused extensive damage to the building and stock. From The Age (VIC) 25 May 1951, page 1.tbn_aus_jackson_training_fire_the_age_vic_25_may_1951_p_1.jpg

  
rmXorg