This article refers to the component: To the tube/semiconductor

4496 (4496) Voltage Regulator 
14.Nov.06 21:37

Bruno Gandolfo-Canepa (RCH)
Articles: 132
Count of Thanks: 6
Bruno Gandolfo-Canepa

Esteemed Members,

According the Radiomuseum data information  the only model that uses this voltage regulator  is the Philips 289A.  Model that I intend to restore in the next weeks.  The available information for the 4496 is very scarce and I have neither found where to buy it. 

I will thank some information on the 4496 and possible equivalent for tube replacement.. 

Respectfully,

Bruno Gandolfo.

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Vade-Mecum 
14.Nov.06 22:19

Mark Hippenstiel (D)
Articles: 1251
Count of Thanks: 4
Mark Hippenstiel

Dear Bruno,

for the technical data of the 4496, please look here. As you can see from the table, you can also use 4317 or 4377 provided that you change either socket or base (difficult with Edison...).

I do not know however, how reliable the Vade-Mecum is, so a certain caution and re-checking is in order.

Hope that helps!
Cordially, Mark

válvula reguladora 
14.Nov.06 22:21

Otmar Jung (D)
Editor
Articles: 287

Estimado Bruno,

tengo algunos datos de la 4496. Los encontré en el libro Röhren-Codex del año 1948.

Tensión de estabilisación:  110V
Corriente promedio por el regulador:  0,02A
Tensión de encendido: 130V

Desgraciadamente no conozco un tipo de reemplayo.

Saludos cordiales

Otmar

14.Nov.06 22:26

Jacob Roschy (D)
Articles: 1766
Jacob Roschy

Hello Bruno,

unfortunately there is no direct equivalent type known to me, which is easy to obtain today.

The next valve that fits best is miniature type 0B2, (a.k.a. 108C1) which requires a new socket or an interstage adaptor. Octal type 0C3 (a.k.a. VR105) is also possible.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Jacob

4496 (4496) Voltage Regulator 
15.Nov.06 21:13

John Carter (GB)
Articles: 15
Count of Thanks: 6
John Carter

Dear Bruno,

I think that the 4496 Voltage Regulator is virtually impossible to get, but keep trying. One day you never know!  Just as a thought and before you do something that you cannot alter later.  What about soldering a 5 watt, 130 volt zenor diode across the anode and cathode under the valve base.  No one will see it there and the original tube and base can stay in place until by chance you might find a 4496.  I presume you do have the 4496 still?  I hope this helps.

With kind regards,

John Carter.

Sorry Bruno, I have just realised the stabilised voltage is 110 volts. So a 110 volt zenor is required.

John

4496 voltage stabilizator, Thanks to all. 
18.Nov.06 23:18

Bruno Gandolfo-Canepa

Esteemed Mark, Otmar, Jacob and John,

Thank you so much by all the Information, comments and suggestions about this scarce and rar voltage stabilizator. 

My special gratitude for my friend Roberto Sarbell who sent me an OC3  NOS  for the replacement. 

The dial glass of the Philips 289 A presents various places or towns some absent nowadays that would correspond to the Indonesian Archipelago (Batavia, Bandoen, Tjepoe, Malang, etc ). 

It has been very interesting to study the Colonies held by the Netherlands in the South Asia archipelago, zone for the one  Philips designed this radio in 1938.  The Indo-Asiatic market. 

Thanks again,

Bruno

? 4496 replacement 
23.Mar.10 19:31
542 from 3798

Count of Thanks: 3
Bruno Gandolfo-Canepa

Dear Members,

The stabilisator 4496 can be replaced by the 4687?

Thanks, Bruno.

This thread was moved automatically. 

This question was moved automatically to the board "Talk" to get more possibilities for answers.

Moved from board »VALVES AND TUBES in RADIOMUSEUM« on 29.Mar.10 19:31 from automatically 

4496 versus 4687 
23.Apr.10 11:04
677 from 3798

Jan Terranea (NL)
Articles: 62
Count of Thanks: 3
Jan Terranea

Dear members,

"Philips electronenbuizen deel II"  states on page 284 a stabilizing voltage of 85 to 100 volts at 10-40 mA, so it cannot replace a 110 volts stabilizer.

Best regards, Jan Terranea

This thread was moved back manually because it received a valid answer. 

Moved from board »* TALK - visible for members only« on 23.Apr.10 19:41 from Mark Hippenstiel