emerson: Ch= AM; AM187 Pagoda (AM-187)

ID: 136519
18.Mar.07 20:03

Mark Andrews (GB)
Articles: 88
Count of Thanks: 6
Mark Andrews

Don't suppose anybody out there might have a spare oscillator coil for an Emerson set I am restoring????

Needs to be suitable for AM/SW and sits under the chassis at the back. I think it also has two present caps fitted to it which show through two holes in the back of the chassis. To make things worse, I also need the wavechange switch to go with it! Model is an AM-187 but I suspect this coil assy is common to a lot of 1930's Emersons.

Thanks

Mark

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Difficult question ... 
10.Apr.07 21:21

Ernst Erb (CH)
Officer
Articles: 5742
Count of Thanks: 5
Ernst Erb

Dear Mark
By clicking *** Please remind me *** on your thread you can get an automatic eMail from the server which reminds you after some days (3, 5, 7, 14, 30) of your choice that you have this question "open" and that it probably has "gone under". You then can post some details for your question to bring it up again - as I do it for you now.

You will have a better chance to reach members who are reading only every week or after some days.

If you don't get an answer now you still can "do it again" and for instance integrate a picture of the existing coil - or part of the chassis with it. Then members will have a better chance to help you. I naturally don't write this only for you ;-)

Cordially,

Ernest 

07.Mar.17 00:45
1429 from 2820

Forrest Wagner (USA)

Mark,

I actually have 3 Emerson Pagoda radios.  None of them are pure white with gold trim.  All 3 of them look like the black and white Emerson line drawing that is listed with this model.  I can't tell you for sure if only 5 were ever made.  However, I own 3, you have one, and one was recently sold on eBay (last 8 months) by a gentleman from Wisconsin....so that makes 5 right there.  Nontheless, it is a rare model!

This model is actually a cream colored white.  One thing that made it unique is each model was actually hand antiqued!  You can see the antiquing in the line-art picture.  You can also search for an actual model that just sold on eBay last week....which is an original finish Pagoda.  In his description he states that it is supposed to be white with gold accents....but that is not true and he said that he got that iinformation from this website.  I bought the unit he was selling and it is one of the three I will own.  Emerson also made a brown hand antiqued Pagoda radio.  I do not own one and have only ever seen one sold.  I wish I had purchased it!

Also, where you applied gold paint....that area originally had hand applied silver leaf!  You can still see some of it in the pictures on ebay.  One of the units I have has retained about 80% of its original silver leaf.  The hand antiquing and the silver leaf is one of the reasons why this was such an expensive radio to purchase and why it is a rare model.  The brown version did not have any silver leaf.

Finally, the knobs on your unit, unfortunately, are not original to the unit.  The line art picture show the original knobs....and the sale on eBay last week that I bought also has the original knobs with it.

Great radio though!  I see you also have some other repwood units like the Mickey Mouse and 414 Fleur de Lis.  I love the painted Snow White unit you have.  Your Snow White unit may be the nicest one I have ever seen!  I do not have that Snow White, but I do have over 25 other repwood models including the larger Snow White, the Mickey Mouse, New York World's Fair, Golden Gate Exposition, Crosleys, etc.  Repwood is all I collect and specialize in.

23.Feb.18 23:47
1846 from 2820

John Goller (USA)
John Goller

Hi Forrest My wife and I have the brown or Reddish Brown Pagoda Emerson model AM-187. It finally had its day in the restore the electronics cue this week. My wife has in excess of 100 different Emerson Ingraham models. johnjeanantiqueradio.com/emerson.html The link shows all 100 of them. Or this link should take you directly to the Pagoda AM-187.  johnjeanantiqueradio.com/emerson/100_6534.JPG That is exactly the way we received the radio. Someone had unfortunately changed the grillecloth. I think we have something that will look at least a bit more like the original. The radio has some cracking the top. Middle top slightly toward the rear you notice the darkened area. Below that of course the Ballast tube. In this radio I placed an 8 mfd non-polarized capacitor replacing the main section of the burned out ballast tube. That solves the heat issue. The capacitor doesn't get hot like the Ballast tube did.

John k9uwa