eumig: DKE-38B DKE-1938B; Power connections

ID: 236860
? eumig: DKE-38B DKE-1938B; Power connections 
16.Nov.10 02:48

Michele Denber (USA)
Articles: 129
Count of Thanks: 6
Michele Denber

I have started working on my DKE38-B.  This radio takes three input voltages, +90, +6, and +2.  You'd think this should be pretty straightforward.  However, looking at the schematic, I am confused.  Look at the +6 volt lead (the "+ weiss" line) in the diagram below:

This appears to be connected directly to ground!  Surely this cannot be.  On the actual radio, this white wire has a little tag that says "+6 v".  If I connect my power supply according to this diagram, I will short it out.  Can anyone explain this apparent paradox?  I want to be sure I don't make a critical error with this radio.  Thanks!

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Grid bias 
16.Nov.10 09:00
26 from 3609

Emilio Ciardiello (I)
Editor
Articles: 533
Emilio Ciardiello

Dear Michele,

The +6V seems to be just a grid bias for the KL1 output tube. The connection is correct, since the positive lead to the chassis grants -6V on the grid. No switch is needed here, since the current falls to zero when the filament is not lighted.

Regards, Emilio

Battery connections 
16.Nov.10 10:41
44 from 3609

Wolfgang Holtmann (NL)
Editor
Articles: 958
Count of Thanks: 7
Wolfgang Holtmann

Hello Michele

Emilio provided already the correct answer.

If you use other power supplies instead of a storage battery or dry cells for the plate voltage, make sure that the negative lead (- schwarz) is floating against ground! Otherwise you will indeed create a short circuit!
In the drawing, the +6V is connected to ground (Earth)!

? AC power supply connections 
16.Nov.10 21:58
117 from 3609

Michele Denber (USA)
Michele Denber

Thanks to both Emilio and Wolfganga for their kind replies.  I can see now how when connected using the two original batteries there would be no problem.  However, here is the power supply I intend to use (this is the kit distrbuted by Antique Electronics Supply):

The problem is that it has three different grounds, one for each voltage.  Here is how I'm thinking of connecting the five wires on the radio - is there any reason why this won't work?  Will I damage anything doing it this way?

A+ on the power supply to Akku + (rot) (this is the +2V supply)

A- to Akku - (weiss)

B+ to +6V (weiss)

B- and C- tied together and connected to schwartz

C+ to +90V (gelb)

Thanks!

Power Supply 
16.Nov.10 22:55
129 from 3609

Wolfgang Holtmann (NL)
Editor
Wolfgang Holtmann

Dear Michele

The copy of your PS schematic is difficult to read in details, so I made a new drawing merging things together.

This should be the best way:

The solution 
16.Nov.10 23:06
134 from 3609

Michele Denber (USA)
Count of Thanks: 7
Michele Denber

Thank you very much for your help, Wolfgang.  While your diagram makes it completely clear, it appears to create a direct connection between the C+ terminal on the power supply and the A-.  Both of these terminals are connected via the two weiss wires (which themselves are connected together)..  Won't that create a dead short?

And I'm sorry about the scan.  I do have a high quality scan that I intend to submit to RM as a new model but I had to reduce the resolution so it wouldn't be too big for a posting.  And I didn't want to wait for the whole new model process before figuring out which connections I should make.

Hopefully I can get to performing some tests on the radio.  The tubes all have filament continuity and the parts all appear to be original.  This is my first battery radio and I want to be careful with it.  DKE38-B's do not seem to be very common, at least n the US.

Three separate voltages! 
17.Nov.10 00:56
144 from 3609

Wolfgang Holtmann (NL)
Editor
Wolfgang Holtmann

Hello Michele

You wrote:
..... it appears to create a direct connection between the C+ terminal on the power supply and the A-.  Both of these terminals are connected via the two weiss wires (which themselves are connected
together)..  Won't that create a dead short?

In the diagram given, we see two white leads, +6V (C+) and - 2V (A-). The latter is connected via the on-off switch to earth.

In the second diagram, the two weiß wires are themselves connected together and the on-off switch is wired differently. What is the reality? 

Anyhow, we need both connections as depicted

Kind regards.