telefunken: Exotic TELEFUNKEN 439 U (Without ”T” before the ”439 U”)

ID: 588090
This article refers to the model: Markstein-Super 439U (T439U) (Telefunken; Wien)

? telefunken: Exotic TELEFUNKEN 439 U (Without ”T” before the ”439 U”) 
18.Sep.22 13:39

Pitagora-Petru Schorsch (D)
Articles: 17
Count of Thanks: 1
Pitagora-Petru Schorsch

Exotic TELEFUNKEN 439 U (Without ”T” before the ”439 U”) Made in Romania ?

Good Afternoon

In Romania there are to be found very peculiar Telefunken receivers marked TELEFUNKEN 439 U (Without ”T” before the ”439 U”) with the rear lid inscriptions printed in Romanian language, containing inside only a regeneration stage followed by two audio frequency stages (NOT a superheterodyne like TELEFUNKEN T 439 U). They are equipped with CF 7, CF 7, CL 4, CY 1 and an Urdox.

TELEFUNKEN 439 U belonging to me.(Still in restoration.)

TELEFUNKEN 439 U belonging to a (romanian) correspondent, Mr. I.C.

I would like to post a larger description & schematic hoping to find people who coud provide more information about Telefunken receivers produced abroad. (Outside Germany maybe Romania?)

My problem is I do not know where to post all that. Could you please indicate me how shall I proceed?

With best regards,

Pitagora SCHORSCH

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

20.Sep.22 09:51
139 from 860

Wolfgang Bauer (A)
Articles: 2479
Wolfgang Bauer

Dear Mr Schorsch,

Please bring good pictures of the type designation (so that we can read what is written here), also the chassis and the tube assembly on the back panel.

What I also noticed, by the model Markstein-Super 439U - Telefunken the circuit diagram (ID= 7659 and ID= 7660)  is duplicated on the model page and there are two identical images of the scale (ID= 910434 and ID= 910486) in the circuit diagrams. They don't belong there.

Regards WB.

20.Sep.22 18:40
177 from 860

Pitagora-Petru Schorsch

Dear Mr. Bauer

Thank you very much for your interest. On the set belonging to me, on the back panel, the writing on the label with the type designation is partly erased and it is printed on shining aluminium, also not so easy to get an accurate picture of it:

In my opinion one can read:

TELEFUNKEN 439 U

110 – 220 V

CU TRANSFORMATOR

The last line meaning: “With Transformer” in Romanian language.

In the downer right corner appears another designation:

Which I tend to interpret as the project/schematic diagram number.

The tube assembly:

And the tubes I found inside:

(The last one is a CL 4 but the marking is too faint to be taken in picture.)

The rest of the inscriptions on the back panel are (also) in Romanian language:

My Romanian correspondent assures me that his back panel is identical with mine with the exception that his label with the type designation is printed on a dull sheet of aluminium and has no mention of a transformer:

My chassis bears the marking:

And it looked like that (before I begun the restoration)

You are absolutely right regarding the duplicated circuit diagram and the two identical pictures of the scale by the model Markstein-Super 439U (T439U). One should bring these inaccuracies to the attention of the Schematic Admin and/or Model Admin. (Do you happen to know who they are?)

Thank you again for your interest and best Regards,

Pitagora SCHORSCH

22.Sep.22 07:21
236 from 860

Pitagora-Petru Schorsch

Dear Mr. Bauer

Maybe it will help if I post the schematic diagram which I took directly from the set. (Needless to say it probably contains deviations from the original diagram made in time by various interventions more or less qualified.)

I have to mention that although the inscription on the back panel states that the set has a transformer (I think it means a mains transformer) I was not able to find one, and in my opinion this set was not ever provided with a (mains) transformer.

Best Regards,

Pitagora SCHORSCH

Attachments:

25.Sep.22 16:02
317 from 860

Wolfgang Bauer (A)
Wolfgang Bauer

Dear Mr. Schorsch,

please create a new model in RMorg with the data you know.
Fill out the form that opens when you click "Create New model" on the home page.
Model type "469U, T140GWK". Write in Notes "For the Romanian market".
Hopefully the model admins will then be able to help you.
Unfortunately I can't help you any further as I don't have admin rights.

Best regards
WB.

25.Sep.22 16:08
320 from 860

Wolfgang Bauer (A)
Count of Thanks: 2
Wolfgang Bauer

My mistake:

Correct is: Model type "439U, T140GWK"

25.Sep.22 18:30
343 from 860

Dear Mr. Bauer

Thank you for your advice. As soon I will finish the restoration (in order to be able to get decent pictures of the set) I will try to convince the forum admins to create a new model. (That was my intention from the beginning.) Of course the restoration will take its time being plagued with so much incertitude. My intention was to use this time in order to collect information. Is there a catalogue or an official list containing the radio sets produced by Telefunken Wien? (If I want to ask for a new model in Radio Museum I assume I have to specify the manufacturer.)

Best Regards,

Pitagora SCHORSCH

27.Sep.22 15:17
420 from 860

Dear Mr Schorsch,

as far as I know, there is no list of Telefunken models made in Austria from that time.
But, the design of the back wall on a light background points to Austria. All of these Austrian models from this period have this typical rear panel.
You have already asked this question about the model Telefunken 5U38 / T6515 GWK and unfortunately have not received an answer.

Here is your text, which is actually blocked for me, nevertheless, it was made available to me.
Good Morning,
do you happend to know whether the Telefunken radio receivers with the rear lid inscriptions printed in Romanian language are made in Austria, Hungary or Romania? I know of several such receivers and the respective collectors do not know where to post them in RadioMuseum.
Best regards, Pitagora SCHORSCH

I recommend that you create the model with the data you know under "Telefunken Austria". Even bad pictures are better than none and you can add pictures of the restored model later.

Regards WB

27.Sep.22 21:10
449 from 860

Dear Mr.Bauer

Thank you very much for your remark that the Austrian Telefunken radios from that period had a light-coloured cardboard for the back panel. You helped me realize another similarity that was all the time before my eyes but I was not aware of it.

In my researches through the Telefunken sets (equipped with 3 – 4 tubes and produced around 1940 – 42) contained in the Lange-Nowisch schematics collection and Radio Museum, I was looking for all kinds of similarities and differences, (with the set I posses and the others that I know of,) which will hopefully help identify the manufacturer.

Like the set I posses, the 5U38/T6515 has a light-coloured cardboard for the back panel, with all the inscriptions in Romanian language, and with similar font and colour of the print. That is why I posted there a query hoping to get a definite answer regarding the manufacturer. The set is registered under the manufacturer Telefunken Wien but the model seems suggested by collectors in Hungary.

I can assure you I will try to create a model for my set but I am not comfortable with the idea of sending bad pictures from the beginning. I mentioned earlier that after the model is created I intend to post my restoration notes containing pictures from “before” and “after” restoration which will illustrate enough the very desolate initial state the set was found.

Best Regards,

Pitagora SCHORSCH