grundig: 301; Transistor

ID: 323833
? grundig: 301; Transistor 
07.Jul.13 19:04

Jeff Miller (USA)
Articles: 77
Count of Thanks: 10
Jeff Miller

Does the Grundig "Transistor 301" require a "battery enclosure box" for the two 4.5 volt batteries, or is there a specific battery part number I need to look for? The photos show a gray, plastic box. My radio did not include that piece.

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Both 
07.Jul.13 19:50
6 from 4161

Hans M. Knoll (D)
Editor
Articles: 2163
Count of Thanks: 7
Hans M. Knoll

this Radio can operate  with two 4,5 Volt Batt. plus Adapter,   or this  

Varta 439 IEC 6F100; Varta Accumulatoren- (ID = 741518) Strom-V

Thanks Hans 
07.Jul.13 21:28
25 from 4161

Jeff Miller (USA)
Count of Thanks: 11
Jeff Miller

O.K.  
07.Jul.13 21:32
28 from 4161

Hans M. Knoll (D)
Editor
Count of Thanks: 9
Hans M. Knoll

Allright Jeff. ++

You can also use this power- suply

hans

strike out 
07.Jul.13 22:11
37 from 4161

Jeff Miller (USA)
Jeff Miller

So far no luck with finding the "block" battery for sale here.

Varta 439 (UK and German sites [amazon.com] won't ship to USA)
Eveready 276 (discontinued)
IEC 6F100 (universal number - nothing found yet)

Do you know of a vendor that will ship a Varta 439 from Europe to USA?

Otherwise, I will pursue the two 4.5 volt battery solution. I am not sure how two cylindrical 4.5 volt batteries would fit on the plastic battery tab with "+" and "-". Is there an adapter?

Indentical to Eveready PP9, formerly Ever Ready 
08.Jul.13 10:33
89 from 4161

Michael Watterson (IRL)
Editor
Articles: 1036

The Panasonic and Eveready 6F100 / PP9 are available here, but a staggering €9 in Co-op to €14 in Maplin. I have also occasionally seen Varta and Camlion brands in the past.

So I filled an old one by cutting open the bottom with a 6 off AA holder. You  need to use Alkaline AA and even then the capacity is about 2800mAH rather than original 4500mAH to 5000mAH due to the smaller size.

However I needed three more PP9 packs so I printed a colour paper sheet and made a card box similar to the 1950s version with velcro tabs to close the bottom.  The Battery clips and 6 x AA holder together can be under €5.

I can upload the Ever Ready plans and also create Vidor, Exide and Varta labels.

I have bought a pair of 4.5V (I forget brand) similar to Ever Ready 1289  off eBay (eBay has many 6F100) which are the alternate packs for this radio. These using Zinc Carbon are about 2500mA and Alkaline a bit over 5000mA, so the Alkaline version is same life as 6F100. I bought them as they are the last source of "B" cells. Almost all the HT packs and GB packs before 1940 used multiple B cells. The 1930s Portable 61 (many equivalents) was even used in a number of 1950s released radios instead of the "Layer Cells" used in 6F100 and the HT packs from 1940s (US Eveready = Minimax).

So while the 439 / 6F100 / PP9 is still sold, there is considerable saving in using 6 x AA cells in an 1950s styled box, that is €1.50 to €3 per Alkaline pack of 6, so even at 1/2 life of PP9, it's a 70% saving per hour.  I don't buy Duracell or Energiser as they are very over priced here, working out x3 the cost of Zinc Carbon  after capacity is considered.

I have now done very many replica batteries that use AA, D, F, PP3(mini 9V) or Lithium coin cells, see my collection. But I'm still considering best way to upload the plans and instructions to the Radiomuseum

to old!  
08.Jul.13 10:30
87 from 4161

Hans M. Knoll (D)
Editor
Hans M. Knoll

Hello Jeff.

I thought, you want to know which adapter and which battery match to this GRUNDIG Radio.

According to 45yeahrs, this technique is obsolete and not more on the ´Market.
hans

the quest continues 
08.Jul.13 11:56
101 from 4161

Jeff Miller (USA)
Jeff Miller

Michael,

Thanks for the hints. If I can't get a PP9 or IEC 6F100, I will try a 6 AA holder (the "box" shape, not 6-in-a-row format). I will need the connector snaps too.

I am learning the other battery models mentioned are not available in the US.

Panasonic and Eveready 9 volt, 6F100 / PP9 (unavailable in US)
Eveready 4.5 volt, 1289 (unavailable in US)

Hans,

Yes, I was hoping to find the original format (to purchase), but discovered (after reading your reply) they are not sold here, and sites like amazon (.uk and .de) will not ship from UK or Germany to the US. Maybe we have a member who would ship one here?

I want to hear how this radio sounds! I spent a long time getting the tuning dial free to move, and did not know when I bought it that the battery was unique or No Longer Available (NLA).

I may try to find an AC transformer like the "TN-12A", or maybe a modern equivallent.

DIY 
08.Jul.13 12:58
108 from 4161

Michael Watterson (IRL)
Editor
Count of Thanks: 8

I can post you a printout and a PP9 battery clip if you can't find an eBay seller on the .co.uk ebay to send a PP9/6F100 to USA. Yes, the 2 x 3 format 6 x AA fits with loads of space so I add foam packing. The battery clips are also on the .co.uk, searching .com ebay even with "worldwide" option won't work. I usually have to contact and get Irish postage as UK sellers rarely list other than UK postage. PP3 battery clips and AA holders are available cheaply everywhere. Sometimes UK is cheaper and sometimes Hong Kong or other Asian sources. I suspect the cheaper UK suppliers with Chinese concept of English names running bulk drop shipping as they are often far slower than Hong Kong.

Yes both in tube era (especially) and and Transistor there are many sets using batteries specific to US and UK with Mainland Europe somewhat different. Compare Varta (and Pertrix) for Germany, Eveready (NCC, Union Carbide) for US and Ever Ready (and Vidor) for UK on the museum here. When you go to list of models for maker/Brand you can click on "type" to group all the batteries and then click on gallery.

The end point of a 9V battery is 5.4V, though many sets only work down to 6V. A fresh one with no load is near 10V.  So any PSU 7.5V to 8.5 connected direct to battery clip will work. An NPN transistor, 470 Ohms resistor collector to base and 8.2V zener base to 0V with emitter to bat+ clip and collector to 10V to 16V would be a simple regulator. Use any TO220 case NPN with a small heatsink. Perhaps 1000uF on collector to 0V, 100nF on emitter and 100nF to 10uF across the Zener (as they are noisy).  A 9V AC to 12V via a bridge rectifier.

If using a DC Wallwart check that it really does do between 7V and under 10V with 470 Ohm load and 10K  Ohm load. The voltage doesn't need to be exact, but within the range of the 9V battery and without "hum".

Type PP9/6F100 connector snaps 
08.Jul.13 18:16
154 from 4161

Jeff Miller (USA)
Count of Thanks: 6
Jeff Miller

Michael,

Just for clarity: The distance between the Type PP9/6F100 connector snaps are the same as the connector snaps in the radio? If yes, then I will try to find someone on ebay.co.uk who will ship to the US.

Hans Knoll the Expert 
08.Jul.13 18:26
158 from 4161

Michael Watterson (IRL)
Editor

Post #2 Hans Knoll (the Grundig Guru) said it takes a 6F100 (which is a PP9 etc ...)

Even if you had the missing adaptor box, the PP9 is easier to get or replicate than the 4.5V packs (same as old UK Ever Ready 1289). The 2 x 4.5V pack would not fit the space of smaller batteries with narrower clip spacing. Larger spacing is only used on 45V, 67V 90V etc HT packs.

wish me luck! 
08.Jul.13 18:32
160 from 4161

Jeff Miller (USA)
Jeff Miller

Yes! the Grundig Guru - Hans Knoll helped with my Grundig questions numerous times. Wish me luck searching ebay.co.uk.

p.s. I just sent a query to a vendor. I am feeling lucky. ;)

I will send photos, etc. when I get everything finalized.

Battery arrived from UK 
25.Jul.13 18:40
307 from 4161

Jeff Miller (USA)
Count of Thanks: 8
Jeff Miller

The Eveready PP9 battery arrived from the UK (eBay vendor) and the radio has good audio.

Attachments: