grundig: 4040W/3D ;

ID: 261032
? grundig: 4040W/3D ;  
07.Aug.11 12:18

Koen Louage (B)
Articles: 4
Count of Thanks: 8

Hallo,

I own this radio for a while, the sound is perfect. However, I don't know how the automatic motor works: can anyone help me with information?

Thanks a lot.

Koen Louage belgium.

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Motorized Memory 
07.Aug.11 20:01
42 from 2786

Henning Oelkers (D)
Editor
Articles: 603
Count of Thanks: 4
Henning Oelkers

dear Mr. Louage,

Grundig has used a Kind of mechanical Memory. This consists of a Shaft, and several Disks mounted onto that shaft in a way, that they are moveable by some force, but do not move by themselves.

Each Pushbutton ( U1, U2, SW1 ..... ) is engaged to one of of an Array of flaps. These Flaps have two metal Contacts on the underside, and whenever a Pushbutton is depressed, the corresponding Flap can fall down, and will hit the corresponding disk. Depending of the last used "tuned Position" for this Pushbotton, in respect to the current position on the dial, one or the other contact of the flap will make contact, causing to drive the motor right or left.

As soon, as the Motor is started, the Motor shaft moves, and the Motor Pulley gets in contact with the mechanism to drive the tuning system. The Memory Disk on the shaft stays on its position, while threads on one end of the move the Shaft axial in addition to the rotation. At one point the Flap will fall down into a cutout on the Disk, causing the contacts to interrupt Motor Current and ths causes the System to stop.

Very important for the correct function of this system is the correct friction of the disks on the shaft.

As the System is open, dust and dirt together with old grease will be a major Problem.

on my Grundig 5040W3D i removed the complete mechanical block from the Radio, disassembeled everything, cleaned and lubricated and reassembeled again.

Hope this helps,

best Regards,

Henning Oelkers

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.