ID: 206754
? grundig: 6099; Konzertgerät - "Dezent" control 
03.Dec.09 02:35

Bill Liers (USA)
Articles: 17
Count of Thanks: 6
Bill Liers

Greetings,

I am presently working on restoring this fine Grundig radio. However, one of the controls is unfamiliar to me. I have translated the term "dezent" as "discrete" and see the corresponding function in the schematic as a mid to high frequency rolloff.

Would someone please describe the intention of this control for me?

Thank you,

Bill Liers

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

'Dezent' control  
08.Dec.09 15:52
108 from 3142

Markus Schumacher (D)
Articles: 7
Count of Thanks: 6
Markus Schumacher

Hello Bill,

the original manual shows the poor information (translated): "If you hear (music) in the late evening, press the button "Dezent".

This button is a gadget to decrease the volume/sound by pressing only one key (during night time or incoming telephone call ??), you don't have to use the loudness potentiometer.

I can provide you with a scan of the German manual, if you wish.

"Dezent" = "decent" 
08.Dec.09 16:14
120 from 3142

Knut Rothstein (D)
Articles: 65
Count of Thanks: 7
Knut Rothstein

Dear Bill

I don't know your Grundig radio. But, I mean the correct translation of the German "Dezent" should be "decent" in this case.

Another German term for "dezent" is "unaufdringlich" which describes the function you derived from the schematic very well. "Unostentatious" is one translation of the German "unaufdringlich".

With a high frequency rolloff you may find the sound of the radio less ostentatious.

Kind regards

Knut Rothstein

? Mystery solved 
08.Dec.09 16:12
117 from 3142

Bill Liers (USA)
Count of Thanks: 7
Bill Liers

Markus,

Thank you for the clarification. I would of course, like to have a scan of the manual when you have the time.

Regards, Bill

Dezent Control 
09.Dec.09 15:16
194 from 3142

Bill Liers (USA)
Count of Thanks: 5
Bill Liers

Knut,

Thank you for your input. As I take another look at the schematic, I see that this control seems to connect only a simple RC to ground (the "B" section of the switch seems to be unused). So this is not simply a function of attenuation. Although when pushed the volume drops a good 6 dB but not so much of course at the low frequencies.

Dezent translated to Discrete possibly allows the user some Discretion as the listening situation changes, possibly for a phone call etc. without changing other controls? This would agree with your assessment, although It is a curious function to say the least.

regards,

Bill