hickok: 6000; Tube Tester; Knobs functions and letters.

ID: 201943
? hickok: 6000; Tube Tester; Knobs functions and letters. 
09.Oct.09 10:54

Marco Gilardetti (I)
Articles: 149
Count of Thanks: 11
Marco Gilardetti

Gentle tube enthusiasts,

together with fellow Dale Spear, I am working on a project which involves good knowledge of the circuitry and theory of operation of 6000, 6000A and 6005 tube testers.

I have three main concerns:

1) the user's manual states that the seven sockets' contact dials have fourteen positions. However, other literature mentions twelve positions. Do they perhaps have two "standby" (= disconnected) positions, which would solve the discrepancy?

2) I particularly seem to have problems with dial 2. It should be marked 1-2-3-R-S-T-U-V-W-X-Y-Z but in the tube charts I consistently find as well a P position. Which socket's contact is connected when it is turned in P position, or which other operation is performed?

3) The "FUNCTION" switch is said to have eight positions. However, the positions used in tube testings seem to be only five: A-B-C-D and F. As long as I understand, A is used for amplifiers' tests, C for diodes' tests and D for rectifiers' tests. But I couldn't find any literature on what B and F functions are used for and what they specifically do. Does anyone have any clue?

Thanks for reading.

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

? Hickok models 6000, 6000A, or 6005 
10.Oct.09 16:45

Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22 (USA)
Articles: 363
Count of Thanks: 8
Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22

Hello Marco,

In reference to your questions, you cite several different models and there were apparently improvements and changes between the 6000, 6000A, and the 6005. Even the change to the FUNCTION switch – which correlates to the push-button test switches on a number of early Hickok  models . . .offered additional test functions to the technician. 

I also agree with your observation that the Instructions can be less than fully descriptive for such an important test instrument. Therefore,  I qualify my response to your question 3 based upon the detailed Instructions from my Hickok 752A – manual No. 2490-582 (and from an early Hickok 6000 manual No. 2490-306) There is definitely more ambiguous information in the model 6000 Operating Instructions.

NOTE: You did not refer to the missing functions E which correlates to testing amplifier tubes in Gm values (transconductance in micromhos). And you did not mention functions G or H.

The FUNCTION switch positions A through G (or A through H on the variant models you reference) should correlate to the following: I will attempt to identify the equivalent European tube as the second listed in my examples below)

A - used when testing low-power diodes (ex. 6H6 or D63)

B - used when testing cold cathode rectifiers (ex. 0Z4 or CK1005)

C - used when testing rectifiers (ex. 5Y3 or U50)

D - used when testing low plate voltage amplifiers (ex. 1R5 or DK91)

E - used when testing amplifier tubes in Gm (ex. 6BQ5 or EL84)   (NOTE: NEVER use this function to test rectifier tubes)

F – used to test for “Gas” within amplifier tubes”(ex. 6L6 or EL37)

G – used for additional “gas test” on some tubes; or to test tuning indicator tubes (ex. 6CD7 or EM34 magic eye)

H – function H may not appear on some early models 6000 – used to test some diodes and many early transistors with NPN or PNP arrangement for the emitter–base-collector

Respectfully,

Robert

? Please add more! 
12.Oct.09 08:54

Marco Gilardetti (I)
Count of Thanks: 9
Marco Gilardetti

Robert, thank you very much for your input which is extremely important for our work.

Do you have enough documentation to be more specific on what "B" function does? For instance: may it be that some electrode (the plate?) is connected to a different voltage than that applied to rectifiers or amplifiers?

May it be that the "P" position on dial 2 is realated to that? That is that "P" means that the tube has no filament, and so no filament current is sent?

Do you happen to have the schematics, or do you know where one is available? It would be extremely useful to check these details on the circuitry at this stage of our work.

Model 6000 OpInst manual lacks clarity!! 
12.Oct.09 23:10

Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22 (USA)
Articles: 363
Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22

Hello Marco,

First, I wish to explain one point that you are already familiar with - Normally those individuals or organizations (other than our exemplary RMO site implemented by the generous Ernest Erb) who have some or many of the original technical data from some test equipment rarely will provide the complete technical publication – to include the schematics and/or Parts list.  

I correlated the information which I posted earlier in the forum after comparing the test functions as they were described in detail from two (2) complete sets of technical data for the Hickok 580 and 580A series tester and the various test functions; and also the very extensive and detailed operating instructions and tube tests in the models Hickok models 750 and 752A.

In both instances, I was unable to find any place which would offer the data freely (or even be able to download it) – I apologize for my lengthy digression!

I purchased the 580/580A series 6 years ago, and the 750/752A series more than 10 years ago. . .and only within the last few years I located the FREE DOWNLOAD information for the 6000-series. The manual does not address the 6000A or the 6000B or the 6005 version.  However, I was fortunate enough to acquire the Hickok model 6000 Operating Instructions from one of our early RMO members – Herr Joachim Gittel 

See his web site for the complete document:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_forum_userposts.cfm?poster_id=5051

Regarding the correlation of Functional tests performed by the 6000 tester, I simply matched the TESTS A through G (or H for the variant which included the transistor tests and provided the small test socket  for the E, B, and C leads (emitter, base, and collector of the transistors, etc. against the “functional” Press-to-Test pushbuttons on the models 580/580A or even on my model 752A which contains 10 Press-to-Test buttons which are listed from left to right as follows:

"Letter-series" functions Model 6000.....Model 752A "S-pb" functions

A…....S1 -DIODE – testing low power diodes

B…....S2 -0Z4 Cold Cathode Rectifiers

C…....S3 –RECT – used to test Rectifiers

D…....S4 –LOW PLT– used for low plate voltage (1.4v fil amplifier tube)

E…....S5 –Gm (Transconductance Values in Micromhos) ***

F…....S6 –Gas test (Zero adjust)

G…...S7 –Gas Test (Gassy tube?)

H…...Used for testing Transistors on the model 6000 

S8 –For multi-unit tubes on 580/580A or 750/752A 

S9 – Used to Test Voltage Regulator

S10–Used to adjust LINE voltage to Reference Mark on Meter

*** Never use this PB for testing Rectifiers

Regretfully, the  Hickok model 6000 OpInst manual does not display a schematic; and as you are aware, the manual appears to be somewhat lacking in clarity.

Respectfully.

Robert

Thanks again 
13.Oct.09 09:01

Marco Gilardetti (I)
Marco Gilardetti

Robert, thank you very much again for the information you provided. You truly helped in solving some points of my first post.

I agree with you that the manual for model 6000 is technically way below the usual standards of a brand such as Hickok.

Unfortunately the "P" position on knob 2 remains a mistery. Perhaps we will be able to address it in the future.

With my best regards, Marco.

Hickok 6000 series 
04.Nov.09 20:24

Sinisa Trlin (HR)
Articles: 8
Count of Thanks: 15

Hello Marco

On plain 6000 which i have all selector switches have 12 positions, i also have 6000B which is similar tester and uses same charts as his older brothers but has different testing aproach and only 5 function positions and 14 positionson all 7 selector switches.

I have seen lots of 6000 series testers and some of them have transistor and diode testing ability, that could explain differences in number of switching positions.

6000 i have is one of the oldest and have transistor amplification and leakage test, some newer A series do not have that ability. 6000B has no ability to test semiconductors. 6000 series is targeted to compete Jackson 648, Sencore MM and other quality portable testers that could be carried around by door to door tv and radio repairman, that is why manual is so dry.

For schematics and manuals you could Google for BAMA and/or Jogis Roehrenbude they have them on their sites ready for download. Hope this info helps.

Regards Sinisa

Thank you! 
05.Nov.09 08:17

Marco Gilardetti (I)
Marco Gilardetti

Hello Sinisa, thanks for adding these notes. The links you suggested brought in a good amount of new data which are extremely precious for the work we are doing, so I wholehartedly thank you for taking time to answer.

Generally speaking, however, the 6000 series manuals have all but the accuracy of its military predecessors and the more I dig the more I get the impression that they never took their time to check things twice. Just have a look at the shunt settings for an ultra-common tube like 5Y3: 22 for one plate, 18 for the other which is identical to the first one. What did they mean with that?

With my kindest regards - Marco.

5Y3/80 
05.Nov.09 18:25

Sinisa Trlin (HR)

Hello Marco

I think that all Hickoks have different shunt setup for 5y3 and 80 plates. I do not have slightest clue why is that done in that way when other twin rect. tubes like 6X4, 5AR4, 5U4, 83 and others have same shunt settings for bouth plates. I must admit that i use my 533A and 539A almost every day and i have never plugged 5y3 tube in them.

Even bigger Hickoks like 533 or 750 series can not test rectification tubes at full load and i always avoided to test anything bigger than 6x4 on Hickoks. Read the first chapter, "for testing tubes delivering less than 25 watts".

Regards Sinisa

?  
06.Nov.09 08:28

Marco Gilardetti (I)
Marco Gilardetti

Excuse me Sinisa, the first chapter of what?

Hickok 
06.Nov.09 16:48

Sinisa Trlin (HR)

Hello Mario

In first chapter of instruction manual in almost all Hickok testers (6000 included):

1-1 Functional description

Through common 5U4 you can pull through more than 150 watts and you can not make good test of it at 180V.

Mighty TV2 who is designed by Air King and uses Hickok patented circuit lists ordinary 6550 as "beyond tester capatibility" and plain and ordinary 533A tests 6550 without problem.  Hickoks generaly have problem with low Ra/40watts dissipation and above, but never the less they are excelent testers if you admit and respect they shortcomings.

You can not test ECC83 (gain 100) with I-177 or with plain 533 beacouse 5V signal will most certanly make it go to overdrive. Most Hickoks do not list tubes like EAF801 and some other late 60s Euro radio tubes but if you repair guitar amps and all you see is 12AX7, 6L6 and EL34 then 6000 or 533A is tester of choice for you. If you repair old USA radios and HiFi where you find 10,27,45, EF86,E288CC and C3g or other "quality" tubes then you will get by with 533A (2.5V signal) but 533B,750 or 539 will serve you much better with 2 or 3 steps variable signal and much better control of parameters.

If you wish to test old Euro tubes than you can make adaptors and make your own test data but non existance of 4V filament voltage will make this number very limited. (4.3V will increase filament emmision that almost dead AL4 or AD1 will test good or almost new)

Hope this info helps in some way

Regards Sinisa