philips: 480L;

ID: 293383
? philips: 480L;  
21.Jul.12 18:43

Oleksii Korniienko (UA)
Articles: 14
Count of Thanks: 3
Oleksii Korniienko

I have this radio in my collection: Philips 480L Holzgehause. I installed Barretter-Urdox EUVI instead of BarretterC1 in it. Urandioxydwiderstand - this is a double salt of uranium oxide UO2Can someone pacing the radiation level from Urdox? (Especially when working radio).

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

Operation isn't relevant. 
21.Jul.12 20:39
15 from 2837

Michael Watterson (IRL)
Editor
Articles: 1037
Count of Thanks: 4

The radiation won't be affected by operation. Nor is it likely that it's other than "natural" Uranium dioxide (i.e. neither enriched for reactors or bombs, nor depleted).

What exactly is the Uranium Dioxide used for? Is it a coating on the iron wire or what?

Probably very bad to grind it to a powder and inhale.

Uranium Dioxide used to be a common colouring / tint for glassware and ceramic glazes.

I have no idea of the radiation level, say compared to a Smoke Alarm or a Gas Mantle.

Barretter Operation.

A traditional "Barretter" is Iron wire in a hydrogen atmosphere to act like a constant current source, over about 50V 70V range it does this quite well (for a nominal 90V drop).  Modern Halogens are tungsten and up to 5x atmospheric pressure of mix of gasses. At a lower working voltage than normal operation a 240V  Halogen lamp doesn't perform as well as a traditional Barretter, but is much better than an ordinary wire wound resistor. When valve filaments became more accurate and mains more stable the ordinary dropper wire wound resistors were used. 

I was going to use a 60W 240 Halogen instead of a C1 Barretter in my Philips Superinductance as this would work much better than a wire wound resistor. But amazingly an unused  boxed C1 turned up.

Operation isn't relevant. 
23.Jul.12 17:33
77 from 2837

Oleksii Korniienko (UA)
Count of Thanks: 3
Oleksii Korniienko

Dear Michael Watterson.

Urdox has a different purpose, as opposed to Barreter - limit impulse electric current when you turn the receiver placed in a glass container, the outside like a graphite electrode of the battery. Thus filament incandescent lamps are protected from burnout. Why no country in the world except Germany have issued Urdox? The Soviet Union certainly did not let it. All three natural isotopes of uranium are radioactive: 238U, 235U, 236U. M.Klaprot discovered uranium in the study of uranium ore in Bohemia resin in the form of oxide UO2.

KIng regards,

Oleksii Korniienko.

Urdox radiation level 
23.Jul.12 19:44
92 from 2837

Dietmar Rudolph † 6.1.22 (D)
Articles: 2492
Count of Thanks: 2
Dietmar Rudolph † 6.1.22

The radiation level from Urdox is lower than from fluorescent numbers of old watches. See here.

Regards,

Dietmar

Urdox radiation level  
27.Jul.12 15:18
167 from 2837

Oleksii Korniienko (UA)
Count of Thanks: 4
Oleksii Korniienko

Compare the level of radiation from fluorescent old watches and Urdox - incorrectly: from old watches radiation is at photon level, and from Urdox for neutron levels with time-life - a few decades. A neutrons, with great energy, destroying the nucleus of atoms in all biological objects.

Regards,

Oleksii Korniienko.