RADIO PHILIPS E151A 
03.May.07 21:41

Jose Duarte Costa (P)
Articles: 72
Count of Thanks: 7
Jose Duarte  Costa

Dear RadioFriends,

I’ve one Philips E151A.

As far as I know this reference number is not usual in Philips radios.

I would like to upload it to Rmorg but I must be sure about its identity.

Do You help me?

Do You know the meaning of this letter E?

Best regards

José Duarte Costa

Attachments:

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

e 
03.May.07 22:10

Maitiu Standun (IRL)
Articles: 160
Count of Thanks: 6
Maitiu Standun

hello jose , as far as i know the 'e 'stands for eindhoven , where the original philips radio factory was  founded ,regards maitiu

could it be a german traviata 8e151a???

Please refrain from guesswork 
04.May.07 00:05

Ernst Erb (CH)
Officer
Articles: 5742
Count of Thanks: 8
Ernst Erb

Dear Maitiu
Sorry, but I see too often your guesswork.
E does definitely NOT stand for Eindhoven - if I would be sure I would write it stands for Spain for some sets before WW2.

But since I'm not sure I would not come within a few minutes and just post something. This might be usual for other forums - but not here! If after 3 days there is no answer such a hint might help but it can also lead to false opinions and postings of models etc.

Please don't do that in the future. Thank you.

************************ after an other look:
Dear Jose
Please give us more - like the scale with readeable stations and the name plate:
Then one can be more precise. For instance the tubes (valves) are probably made by Mullard (?) but Mullard did not only deliver to GB but also export to Spain for the brand Iberia and Invicta.

E151A 
04.May.07 12:41

Roy Johnson (GB)
Articles: 284

Dear Jose,

The E151A is the correct Philips designation.   I have one reference to it but no details.

Mario Huizinga's excellent site has a picture of an E151A, but again no details other than the valve complement. On the site is also a reference to a E157A.    See here.

(As an aside - the use of an EF50 in a radio is interesting - it was probably because there were so many surplus available at the time of design and therefore cheaper than other RF tubes!)

It seems therefore that it would be quite in order to load it as a new and interesting radio.

Best regards,

Roy

RADIO PHILIPS E151A  
15.May.07 18:53

Jose Duarte Costa (P)
Articles: 72
Jose Duarte  Costa

Dear RadioFriends,
Thank you for your prompt relpies.
I confirm that almost of tubes are Mullard.
I'm sending also one photo of its dial-scale.
No city names are shown in Broadcasting scale.

Best Regards
José Duarte Costa

Attachments:

Number plate 
15.May.07 21:20

Ernst Erb (CH)
Officer
Articles: 5742
Count of Thanks: 7
Ernst Erb

Dear Jose
Sorry to bother you again. I would like to see the plate because i still wonder about the "name".
And if possible can you write the names of the different bands etc. or take a picture where one can read those? But this may be difficult for you.

Is there no information on the plate where it is made like PHILIPS in one line and below made in ....?

Did you buy this model from Mario Huizinga - it is the same photo ... as he displays ...

If you have that set then it might be easyer to put it as a new model, state everything you can and you put it to Philips Spain - for the moment. I will then move this thread to the model and we will be able to find out by your pictures or with the help of Mario Huizinga.

Identification plate photos 
20.May.07 14:06

Mario Huizinga (NL)
Articles: 4

Hi all,

Ernst contacted me about the radios in this topic and asked if I had additional information about the E151A / E157A.

Well, since the information for my database was submitted by the owners of these sets and I never delete any mail, I was able to have a second look at the photos that were submitted, but not published on my site.

The E151A info was sent to me by someone in Portugal who inherited the radio from his father.

The dial has "Bandspread tuning" printed on it but the wavelengths are in "Metres"

On the inside of the radio the is an electrolyte capacitor block that has multiple languages printed on it like "Electrolytio condenser" while the specifications are in English "Surge limiting/Peak Volts/ etc."

The service manual for this set has printed on the front: Philips Model E.151A (note the dot) and "We are confident that this slightly modified variation from the normal presentation of our Service Manuals will be understood as a war time expedient."

This would narrow the year produced down to 1940-1945.

It also states: "Service Department, 74-94, Cherry Orchard Road , CROYDON, Surrey " So the manual originated from England .

I know this does not have to indicate the radios were also built in England , but to me it seems likely that they were.

My conclusion for the E151A would be that the radio was produced for the Spanish (or Portuguese) market in England in the early 40's.

Unfortunately I don't have any documentation for the E157A, but I do have a photo of the identification plate that clearly shows the set was produced in England .

I received the info from a collector in Portugal but I don’t know how he obtained the radio.

I hope the information above is of use to this discussion.

Regards,

Mario Huizinga

(since this is my first post on this forum I hope I didn’t make mistakes with uploading the photos)

Attachments:

20.May.07 18:18

Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22 (USA)
Articles: 363
Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22

Hello Mario,

Thank you so very much for the clarification of data regarding the production of Philips models E151A and E157A. However, the identification plate in your second attachment is listed as ID E175A -  considering the photo depicts the plate as E 157A" -- may we presume the correct listing should read as "ID E157A"?

Respectfully,
Robert Sarbell

I have been a frequent visitor to your web site and we exchanged communications MANY months ago. I have been attempting to research deeply into the Philips "war-year" production of receivers in the USA; and from Canada and South America.

Typo 
20.May.07 21:37

Mario Huizinga (NL)
Articles: 4

Hi Robert,

You spotted my typo ;)

Since the photo shows the type number to be E157A the link to the photo should be "ID E157A"

I do remember our mailing in June 2005 about your 291A. And if you are able to close some gaps in my database with results from your quest for "war year" radio data, feel free to send me the data. ;)

20.May.07 22:35

Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22 (USA)
Articles: 363
Robert Sarbell † 22.3.22

Hello Mario,

I shall be happy to forward some photos of the Philips USA model 436AN that I recently posted to our RMorg database. And any other of the seldom seen radios from that time frame, I shall disseminate to all interested parties regarding the Philips USA and the Philips Electronics Canada-made radios . . . . . .and their liaison with the temporary headquarters in the Caribbean.

I have been unsuccessful in recent searches to locate some of the unusual wood knobs on the 436AN radio, consequently I am presently in the process of creating an exact replica of the knobs on a small Dremel hobby motor-operated lathe.

Regards,
Robert

for your reference 
26.May.07 15:11

Mark Hippenstiel (D)
Articles: 1251
Count of Thanks: 8
Mark Hippenstiel

Thread locked Thread closed by a moderator. But replies can be made through a moderator.