Please click your language flag. Bitte Sprachflagge klicken.

hickok: Restore calibrate and modify this hickok 539c in europe

Martin Renz Ernst Erb Vincent de Franco Martin Bösch Bernhard Nagel Otmar Jung Heribert Jung Eilert Menke 
Please click the blue info button to read more about this page.
Forum » Radios and other type of sets (Physics) etc. » MODELS DISPLAYED » hickok: Restore calibrate and modify this hickok 539c in europe
Cristian Fiscuci
RO  Articles: 1
Pict.: 0
27.Aug.17 14:25

Count of Thanks: 2
Reply  |  You aren't logged in. (Guest)   1



I want to purchase a device like this from USA. The thing is I do not know how to calibrate and service this machine proper.

Because it is expensive with shipping and postage, is there someone who can service and calibrate it in a professional way? In europe?

I do not want to ask this question after I spend 1500dollars on the unit.

Any advice and recomandations are much apreciated.


Best regards,


Michael Watterson
IRL  Articles: 1004
Schem.: 650
Pict.: 2497
31.Aug.17 19:45

Count of Thanks: 2
Reply  |  You aren't logged in. (Guest)   2

You'd likely be better to buy a European tester, or maybe a UK AVO.

See also uTracer by Dekker. A cheap modern tester.

Some testers are only really simple go/fail. Not so useful unless testing all the tubes/valve in a TV. With rarer valves some sort of better tester is of more use as a 40% or even 30% emission tube might be fine. You want to be able to test inter-electrode leakage.

For restoration of radios, it's better to know the circuit is correct, leaky capacitors replaced. Dried out PSU electrolytics replaced etc, rather than using a tube tester which was of more value to test new tubes arriving in bulk or tubes in a new TV or Radio.

I only use my tester and the AVO vCM 163 I borrowed for doing curves to design new circuits or test unusual working NOS parts.

It depends what you want the tester for. The manual of any tester explains calibration.