sony: Sony ICF-7800 speaker foam failure. Easy repair?

ID: 557685
? sony: Sony ICF-7800 speaker foam failure. Easy repair? 
22.Jul.21 11:42

Jose Mesquita (P)
Articles: 111
Count of Thanks: 3
Jose Mesquita

I have recently acquired a Sony ICF-7800 in a so-so condition. It is working on all bands, despite some non identified issues on SW and MW bands where the symptoms are whistling around the tuned stations and loss of sensitivity (to be looked for at a later time).

The main issue is the speaker that shows a total foam ring degradation, unable to handle any level of bass. Treble works fine, though.

I have disassembled the radio to remove the major part of the damaged foam ring from the speaker, most of it freely laying around the enclosure.

Do you know of suitable speaker foam ring parts for this speaker? I found a few references in the Internet, but I wonder where these really are adequate.

Back cover removed to expose the speaker details:

• SONY
  • 1-502-598-11
  • 1.4W 6.5 Ohm
  • JAPAN
  • J020

To thank the Author because you find the post helpful or well done.

22.Jul.21 13:40
16 from 1716

Dietmar Rudolph † 6.1.22 (D)
Articles: 2492
Count of Thanks: 2
Dietmar Rudolph † 6.1.22

You will find here in "Lautsprecher Reparatur" a method described, that works.

Regards, Dietmar

29.Jul.21 14:54
151 from 1716

Jose Mesquita (P)
Articles: 111
Count of Thanks: 5
Jose Mesquita

Meanwhile I think I was lucky to find a probable candidate to replace the damaged foam ring at the global auction website from a seller nicknamed as "scarlettchen" based in Hong Kong under the item number 122725139059.

Now I still have to find a way to remove the cardboard ring from the speaker without destroying it, in order to be able to install the new foam ring and put it back over the new foam ring.